Confusing email from US Consulate in Malaysia, please interprete

srikanthsiva

Registered Users (C)
I just got my H-1. I was on F-1 before that.
I am going back to Malaysia to get my multiple entry. I will only be in Malaysia for 20 days. I received the following email from The US Consulate in Malaysia and i find it to be slightly confusing. Can someone please help? Will it take 3 weeks just to get multiple entry?

My question to them:

I will be coming back to Malaysia to obtain my multiple entry visa.(H-1B).
I have all the necessary documents ready. My question to you is
1) How much is the cost for the visa stamp and to whom is the bank draft
payable to (is it payable in RM$ or US$)

THIER RESPONSE:

To apply for a U.S. visa if you have an approved I797 from INS, you will
need to pay RM171 to RHB Bank(A malaysian bank). The fee for the H1B visa is $9 or local currency
payable in a Malaysian bank draft.
If you are applying for a visa, processing may take about 3 weeks.

visa fees

About the period I dont know but about the fees it is $45 processing fee. If you carry Malaysian passport then the fee is $9 but if you carry an Indian passport then the fee is $75. you can go to their website and check for the time to get visa processed. Hope this helps
Ajay

No Title

Everybody has to pay a processing fee of $45 when they enter the Consulate. This is irespective of whether you get the visa stamp or not. If they issue you a visa stamp they charge you another fee, called reciprocity fee which is either $75 for India or for your case $9. As regards the time of processing, Malayasia seems to be in the watchlist of US government of having links to some terrorist outfits, and hence these countries (26 of them, you can read the total list in DOS web site)have a mandatory three weeks processing time so that they have a detailed background check of people appearing for visa interview.

Attn: Debasis, Question for you?

Debasis,

"Malayasia seems to be in the watchlist of US government of having links to some terrorist outfits, and hence these countries (26 of them, you can read the total list in DOS web site)have a mandatory three weeks processing time so that they have a detailed background check of people appearing for visa interview".

--> Is this watch list applicable to FEMALEs also? What would be the impact of this on a girl who is a malaysian citizen, getting a H-4 visa? Should she need to wait for three weeks?

Thanx

srikanthsiva . Please comment

Hello,

I\'m thinking of heading back to malaysia for revalidation too. Your previous post said "Muslim men aged 16 to 45". I\'m not muslim, does it effect me as well?. Thanks.

Passport Renewal in Malaysia?

I have just recently obtained my H1-B Visa Stamping in Vancouver. Upon arriving in the states, I was given a validity of my I-94 until September 2002 (Based on the validity of my passport). I am planning to visit Malaysia in February 2002. Should it be a problem to have my passport renewed in Malaysia so that upon re-entering the US I will have a longer validity for my new I-94?
Any feedback is much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

How would they determine whether you are muslim?

Hi all,

I am intrigued by the srikanthsiva\'s statement "yes, only for male muslims...". My question is, how would they determine this?

Would they look at your name? That may be a problem for Indian Malaysians as a lot of them have "Al" ("anak lelaki") in their names--this may make their names sound Muslim.

Would they interview you to determine your religious beliefs?

If officially you declared "No I am not Muslim" would the 3 weeks be waived? In that case, the 3-week delay imposed doesn\'t make sense because then anyone could deny that they were a Muslim to avoid the delay. I have a suspicion that the background checks will apply to all Malaysian passport holders.

If anyone has any experience to the contrary, do let us know. Thank you.

For Misse : Make sure you tell MALAYSIAN Immigration not to void the page with your US Visa

Hello Misse,

Renewing passport with a valid US visa is not a problem. I did that like 3 years ago with a valid F1 Visa. All you need to, is to tell the MALAYSIAN Immigration Officer NOT to void out the page with your valid US visa on it. Then when you return to US with your new passport carry with you the old passport and show the US INS officer you old passport with the valid visa.

This works for me with POE at Los Angeles. I don\'t know what is the implication nowadays with the 9-11 incident. PLEASE CALL your lawyer and double check with him/her. Hopes this helps.

TungFong

Thank you Tung Fong

Thank you for the information Tung Fong. I guess with my trip to Malaysia coming soon (February 2002), I was not sure if I should get my passport renewed by the consulate in NY or go back to Malaysia to renew it. Hope it\'s not going to cause any problems!
Thanks again.

They know if u are a muslim

This is no big secret in Malaysia...
They know who is Indian, Chinese or Malay.....

besides the malaysian passport does indicate race...and maybe religion too...im not quite sure...

All muslim names in malaysia have a \'bin\' and \'binti\' for women.

Well anyway, if the US intelligence is able to solve murder cases that are over 20 years old, finding out ur religion is 2 minutes work for them.

Anyone has been to Malaysia for stamping please post experience and comments

Hello,

I\'m planning to go back to Malaysia in Mid January due to some family emergency. I have to get my passport stamp in no more than 20 days due to some complications.

If anyone has any expriences or going to Malaysia before January 15, please kindly help me out and let me know the exact waiting time. Thank you.

TungFong

All the best srikanthsiva !

Hello my friend,

I\'m sure if you have all your paperwork and make sure you get your employer to write you a letter confirming you\'ll be returning to your current job upon coming back to us, you should not be a problem.

I got my stamp from KL embassy before and it was no sweat. I\'m just a bit worried due to 9/11 and Malaysia making the "list". If you really wants to play it safe include 2 of your most current paycheck stub.

Let us know your good news soon!.

Sincerely,

TungFong

Traveling back to the states

I have a valid H1-B Stamp on my passport but I am kinda worried about getting back to the states after my trip to Malaysia. Can someone advice me on what type of documents I\'ll need to bring with me besides documents from my lawyers like LCA, I-129, I-797...?
Thank you much!

Missie : Entire Package

If you want to play it safe bring the entire H1-B application with your LCA and I129. Since you have a valid visa stamp, bring 2 most recent paystubs to proof that you are still working and not been laid off. But you should be fine.

Go to US embassy site in M\'sia at http://usembassymalaysia.org.my/klcons2.html#hvisa for more details.

TungFong

Attn: TungFong, Srivatsa, other folks

TungFong, Srivatsa, and other folks,

You seem to know about getting H visa from Malaysia. I have a friend(he) who is an indian national and is getting married to a Malaysian National(she). The marriage is scheduled in india in Jan 2002. They would be getting their marriage registered as well, in india. My question is whether SHE could go to USConsulate in INDIA for her H4 stamping.

Thanks a lot

RichardB : That should not be a problem but....

You friend\'s wife should not have any problems if she has not violates any immigration policy/law i.e Out of status or has applied for GC or something like that.

If she has any of the above, US Consulate might denied her H4 and refer her back to US embassy at Malaysia.

Hopes this helps.

TungFong