confused .. My I485 was approved but not my wifes's ..

Charter_One

confused .. My I485 was approved but not my wife's ..

My I485 was approved but not my wife's ..

We submitted I485 at the same time in last September. LUD (fingerprint) for both of us this February and I have received my GC on July 20th 2006; but nothing happened to my wife's I485 and the LUD is still February 2006.

Is this normal? my friends said they should be approved at the same time. I am very confused on why they are separately handled?

What should I do?

I am eager to hear some advice from you guys - thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
no 485 approval for spouse

We are in the same boat. My 485 was approved in April 2006, but no approval for my husband's. I am the primary applicant. We had a finger print appointment in November 2005. His LUD has not changed since then. I contacted my lawyer and was told that he has several similar cases (approval for primary applicant, but pending for dependents).

I guess what we can do is just to keep waiting

Thanks for sharing. So you have been waiting for almost 3 month already? Did the lawyer say how long it may take?

I am really confused since the application files are together and highly unlikely to be handled by two officers.

Do you think calling NSC would help? Thanks again.

renee_2005 said:
We are in the same boat. My 485 was approved in April 2006, but no approval for my husband's. I am the primary applicant. We had a finger print appointment in November 2005. His LUD has not changed since then. I contacted my lawyer and was told that he has several similar cases (approval for primary applicant, but pending for dependents).

Could be due to security (name) check

Even though you filed at the same time, the security checks for 485 are independent of each other and can take different amounts of time. That could be one possible reason for dependant not getting the approval at the same time.

Find out if the namecheck for the dependant is completed through infopass or by contacting the senator.

-dinks

Two reasons for file seperation:

1. name check
2. visa numbers unavailable

Each 485 needs its own visa number and name check.

Many other people on the the forum have this issue. In my particular case, we got a letter stating that the background checks are not complete; after we enquired. Unfortunately, with next month's retrogression in our category - it will be a long time .....

Primary 485 approved, and dependent approval pending

My GC was approved, and my husbands, who is a beneficiary has not been. We called NSC and spoke to immigration officer at the local office, and the response we got was the name check was pending. No estimate on how long it could take.

I-140/1-485 - 09/15/2005
EAD - 10/20/2005
FP - 03/14/2006
RFE for both cases - 05/31/2006
RFE response received- 06/20/2006
I-485 approval (Primary applcant) - 06/26/2006
GC received ~ 07/01/2006 :)
I-485 (secondary applicant) :confused: :confused:

Technically each case is handled independantly. They will refer to the "supporting documentation" of the primary applicant, but they still look at the spouse's case seperately. Sometimes they require extra research for a specific case, such as a name check, or locating other documents, and so it is very possible, and quite common in fact, for family members' files to get seperated.

Thanks everyone for the kind replies

Man! for all the friends I know, their spouses' GC got approved at the same time with the primary applicants'.

Just hope it may speed up a little!

Thanks again.

in the same boat

got approved in june'06, spouse's petition got transferred to local office and got interview call for end of sep. they are requesting a long list of documents
inclusing medical exam results which i do not have since i have already sent them with the application. they are asking for utility bills, my employment letter (my case got approved and changed the job too) etc. is this normal?
any ideas?

thanks

Hi,
I am in the same boat as of longduegc_2004. longdugc_2004, can you please tell me if you had to do something to schedule an interview with local office or they sent you the notice about the interview. Can one take an appointment and see at the local office for the interview?
Thanks,
DKEB2.

did not do anything for the interview letter, interview took place last week
and the officer has asked for more documents. more wait for my spouse