• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Confused I don't know my marital status after winning DV-2014

muna2014

Registered Users (C)
My CN is 2014AF00000XXX, I am worrying because at the time I entered DV, I selected single in marital status, I did mean I live single, actually I was divorced 8 years ago, just registered marriage and divorced before living together, so I considered myself as a single. Two months before winning lottery I married US citizen who stayed with me only one week then he went back to US and filed a I-130 for me during the process I won DV-2014. Now I want to sent my forms to Kentucky Consular Center, but I don't know exactly my marital status, if I say I am married, my newly marriage certificate shows that I was divorced and my DV entry was single, if I say single and not mention may marriage, my name may have been reached to somewhere in US immigration as a wife of US citizen, I told my husband to stop processing his application, but he told me it is too late to stop it, it is been registered in the system. I don't know what to write in my marital status. Please anyone can help me, I must submit my forms. Thanks.

If your US citizen husband has filled an immigrant petition for you, I would not go ahead with your DV2014 selection and wait for the petition to get processed instead. As a wife of US citizen you have higher chances of getting an immigrant visa and GC than via DV. Also the quota for direct family members of US citizens is much higher.

If you still decide to go ahead with the DV route, then on your DS-230, question 9 provide that your are Married and put 2 as a number of all previous marriages (including your current one). For the interview though, you will need your divorce certificate from your first marriage.

My CN is 2014AF00000XXX, I am worrying because at the time I entered DV, I selected single in marital status, I did mean I live single, actually I was divorced 8 years ago, just registered marriage and divorced before living together, so I considered myself as a single. Two months before winning lottery I married US citizen who stayed with me only one week then he went back to US and filed a I-130 for me during the process I won DV-2014. Now I want to sent my forms to Kentucky Consular Center, but I don't know exactly my marital status, if I say I am married, my newly marriage certificate shows that I was divorced and my DV entry was single, if I say single and not mention may marriage, my name may have been reached to somewhere in US immigration as a wife of US citizen, I told my husband to stop processing his application, but he told me it is too late to stop it, it is been registered in the system. I don't know what to write in my marital status. Please anyone can help me, I must submit my forms. Thanks.

I carry both I-130 and DV case for my family member - which ever comes first, I'll inform USCIS to stop the other case. I don't see an issue or a conflict with that. Just my 2c.

What about if they ask me why did not you mention your divorced status in your DV entry?

Honestly I did not mean to lie, it was just I want to say I am single which means in our culture I don't have a husband.

Honestly I did not mean to lie, it was just I want to say I am single which means in our culture I don't have a husband.

What marriage in your culture means is not a concern of US immigration system. Definition here is what matters. Submit the paperwork the way creature explained above - I would proceed proceed with both, but that's just my opinion.

What marriage in your culture means is not a concern of US immigration system. Definition here is what matters. Submit the paperwork the way creature explained above - I would proceed proceed with both, but that's just my opinion.

Thanks a lot, I will go for the way creature explained, though I am still worrying the issue of not mentioned that I was divorced when I was entering the DV.