Confused by the H1B application dates

sekharan

Registered Users (C)
I am confused by the H1B application dates :-O

For a particular FY (20XX + 1):

1. When does the application day start? (April XX?)
2. When does the application day end? (Nov - Dec XX?)
3. When do the applicants come to know if they are approved or not? (Oct XX?)

For example, if I need a H1B to work in the US from 2015, when is the:

4. "last" date I can apply for the H1B (Nov, 2014?)
5. "earliest" date I can apply for the H1B (April 1, 2012?)

I am on F1 OPT and already graduated in Fall 2011: I will have my OPT valid 28 months from November 2011 (my OPT will expire around November 2013).

6. Instead of applying for H1B visa, I would prefer AOS to H1B. How much time and money would that cost (excluding attorney?)

I am confused by the H1B application dates :-O

For a particular FY (20XX + 1):

1. When does the application day start? (April XX?)

The applications can be filed starting of April 1st of the preceding year (April XX, that is).

2. When does the application day end? (Nov - Dec XX?)

When the quota is filled. It can be April 1st (as it was in 2008) or it can be around December like it was this year.

3. When do the applicants come to know if they are approved or not? (Oct XX?)

When the application was approved. If the employer pays a "Premium Processing" fee ($1000), the application will be dealt with within 15 days (if not - the fee is returned), otherwise it can take a couple of months, if the load is high. In October you can already start employment. Those who submit applications in April will probably receive notices in May-July.

For example, if I need a H1B to work in the US from 2015, when is the:

4. "last" date I can apply for the H1B (Nov, 2014?)
We can't know the future. Wouldn't count on any specific date if I were you. The economy gets better and the quota might get exhausted before November.

5. "earliest" date I can apply for the H1B (April 1, 2012?)

If you want to start your employment in October 2015, you should apply starting of April 2015.

I am on F1 OPT and already graduated in Fall 2011: I will have my OPT valid 28 months from November 2011 (my OPT will expire around November 2013).

6. Instead of applying for H1B visa, I would prefer AOS to H1B. How much time and money would that cost (excluding attorney?)

You first should be in status when applying, if your OPT expires in November 2013, but you want to start working on H1B in 2015 - you won't be able to. The costs are not your problem, H1B costs must be paid by the employer. The time and cost shouldn't differ much from any other application, I reckon. That's a pretty straightforward process most of the foreign students in the US eventually go through.