Confused about police certificate

an_new

Registered Users (C)
Hi gurus!
I would appreciate if someone can help me.
I'm in US currently and about to start Canadian PR application process,
it seems I have all the documents, the only thing I'm confused
about is Pollice Certificate/FBI fingerprinting.
I'm not sure if I need to submit those papers now,
or wait till I get response (initial assesment?) from Canadian Consulate
in US.
I have police certificate from my home country, I suppose I can get US FBI fingerprinting results and send it with the rest of the application,
is that what is expected though?

Any advise is greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Ann

an_new,

meetme is not advising you correctly on the FBI part. Sorry meetme...but that is a fact.

You are not supposed to send in your FBI fingerprinting results until you receive specific instructions from them. When you first send in your application, send everything except for the FBI fingerprinting results. There is a specific reason for this. The CIC expects the most recent FBI results from you and because the time for them to process your application could take anywhere from 6 months to over a year, it is not recommended that you do the fingerprinting at the onset.

Do not take my word for it..check out the CIC websites. It is all mentioned very clearly.

As for the PCC, I would agree that it is recommended that you send in the PCC when you apply the first time. The PCC usually takes around 45 days from the time you make the application and hence plan accordingly.

Good Luck

Hi maple_cartier,

Thanks a lot! It makes more sense now,
I'll wait till I hear from CIC then.

Thanks again!

maple_cartier said:
an_new,

meetme is not advising you correctly on the FBI part. Sorry meetme...but that is a fact.

You are not supposed to send in your FBI fingerprinting results until you receive specific instructions from them. When you first send in your application, send everything except for the FBI fingerprinting results. There is a specific reason for this. The CIC expects the most recent FBI results from you and because the time for them to process your application could take anywhere from 6 months to over a year, it is not recommended that you do the fingerprinting at the onset.

Do not take my word for it..check out the CIC websites. It is all mentioned very clearly.

As for the PCC, I would agree that it is recommended that you send in the PCC when you apply the first time. The PCC usually takes around 45 days from the time you make the application and hence plan accordingly.

Good Luck

Employer details

Hello maple_cartier, you seems to very knowledgeable and helpful. I have down loaded the form for fingerprint from FBI website. In the form there is a space for Employere details. Could you please help me what should I write there? My present employer's address? In the instructions sheet, it is written that US govt. agency and other. It is not clear to me. I would very much appreciate your help.

Thanks in advance

Kamini

Kamini,

Thank you for the kind words. While I am no expert, I have the proud privelege of helping fellow members since I have gone through this process very recently and yesterday got my PR card..

Ok..there is no need to get any form from the FBI website. All you need to do is the following

1. Send a nice letter to the FBI office in West Virginia (you can get the address from the CIC website or the manuals for applying) requesting them to send you the blank fingerprinting cards. Mention it is for the Canadian Immigration purposes. Of course, provide your details like address so that they can send you the cards

2. If you have already got the cards, then go to the nearest police station and get your fingerprints. This service is free and all you got to make sure is that the police officer signs and if possible puts the police rubber stamp on the card when the prints are done.

3. Next steps when you are ready... :)

Thanks!

Thank you very much maple_cartier! You are very nice. As I informed I down loaded the form from FBI web site, and I took my finger print from the nearest police station, who has signed and put his number on the form, not any rubber stamp. I want to post the form to FBI, West Verginia office. I have now the problem with filling in Employer's details on the form. Could you please help me in this regard.

Thanks in advance!

Kamini

Kamini,

It is interesting that you should 'download the form' from the FBI site...as far as I know, there are 'Fingerprinting Cards' not any forms...these cards are available either by writing to FBI in West Virginia or maybe perhaps going through a private company that does fingerprinting for a fee. So, please re-check this before taking the next steps.

Ok..assuming that the forms you have got your prints on are correct...the only thing I can tell you is that the fingerprinting cards I sent (which I got from the FBI in West Virginia) did not have any need or field for Employer name. There was no such field on the card and hence I did not have to fill it.

Hence, let me repeat. Make sure you have got the right fingerprinting cards...mine did not need me to specify my employer.

In the FBI Fingerprint Card, there is a column for Employer. You could leave it blank also. As told by the people who took my fingerprint, it is not required to be filled in.

meetme

New changes?

Hey guys,

I know before you need to do the fingerprinting when you are told to do so, not when you send the application. But if you guys go to the CIC website and look at the newest Buffalo instructions (dated 12-2004), that seems to be changed? You need to do it when sending the application. Anybody has comments?

Fingerprint card in UPS store

can I use the fingerprint card that is available in the UPS store,instead of requesting it from the FBI?

Thanks.

Hi all,
I have a doubt of whether I should submit the Police certificate at the first step of application submission.I have just now requested for Police cert from Indian embassy.They said that it would take 1 month.So should I wait till then to submit my application?

Thanks.

Regards,
Deepa

Common sense

Hello vvdv2003, your postings are everywhere. Apply common sense, look for similar postings and do what you feel best.

Kamini

Kami12,

did you get back your U.S. police certificate using that on-line finger print form? thanks.