Confused about NIW

My NIW csae was mostly done by lawyer (about 90%)

Hi everyone:
I was reading this thread and realized that people have different experience. I also went along EB2-NIW. I selected a lawyer from the pool of lawyers recommended by my company. He did a great job. I did not write much. I only provided the resources. He visited my company and spoke with the people who were going to write letters on behalf of me. Provided them guidance as to what should be in the letters etc. and what to avoid. Once he got the first draft he made the necessary suggestions and got them corrected with the authors. I did not write a single draft. finally I gave all the supporting documents (diplaoma and the rest) to him. He wrote the cover letter too on behalf of one of our company vice presidents and the vice president signed it without any hesitation. During the whole course of the case preparation I did about 10% of the work and the lawyer did about 90% of the work. I believe that is why we pay them. We filed the case on July 03rd 2003 and got an RFE on Jan07th 2004. Then again the lawyer visited my company and met the people who wrote letters and guided them to clarify some of their statements and write three more letters. Send the reply to RFE on March 30th and got the I-140 approved on April 15th. All in all, my lawyer did a wonderful job during the whole process. Initially I thought that he was expensive. I paid him $3000 for his service. But later I found that he is not that expensive considering the amout of work he did.
Well that is my personal experience.
Hope this will help somebody.
PWDG

what is your lawyer's name and web site?

pwdg,

It is impressive that your lawyer chargeed low and did diligently prefessional work. Could you provide the lawyer's web site or his name?

Thanks,

guo

Hello Guo:
I will send you a private message with my lawyer's contact information. I do not want to use this public site to promote any specific lawyer.
Thanks
PWDG

but do people really find their lawyers helpful?

I got positive feedback (very positive indeed) from all the lawyers I sent my case to, but since they all charge half the money before approval, I'm not sure how to take their feedback. If only there're some independent reviews of these immigration lawyers...
You guys seemed to have a lot of knowledge. Please recommend some trustworthy ones if possible. Thanks

It is very impressive, could PM this lawyer's address to me?

PWDG,

Currently I am looking for a good lawyer to do NIW case for me, could you PM me the contact information of this lawyer?

Thanks!

Niw

What is your status now? Any RFE ? Please update. We need help in finding what to do for a letter of permement employment from the employer, as it is not permenant! We have only 4 weeks to reply to RFE!

help please!

kanus said:
I used Nathan Waxman for my NIW. He came recommended from people who really could have afforded to go to any attorney in the country.

Nathan seems to have a pretty solid reputation for NIW. He does a lot of academic writing on it. I think he maintains his high success rate by (1) reputation; and (2) not accepting cases he doubts will be successful.

Now, having said that, I have never encountered an immigration lawyer who offered what I would regard as 'full service.' I had to be very proactive, wrote/guided all my (12) letters etc etc ... and in the end, there was nothing in the application that I couldn't have done myself. I thought the NIW submission would be more comprehensive and, dare I say it, professional. BUt Nathan seems to know what he is doing.

The reason I chose to pay the $6000 was predominantly for the reputation ... if you go with one of the higher profile NIW lawyers, like Nathan, I think just the name helps when your application hits the officer's desk. I think they feel that certain lawyers only take meritorious cases, and so when they see that the application comes from the Waxman office, they are positively predisposed.

So, no matter who you use, don't expect that you can be 'hands off.' Almost by definition, you have to get very involved in the preparation of your NIW case. And your calls and e-mails won't always be returned, and the paralegals will occasionally make mistakes (read all your forms closely).

But I would recommend Nathan adn his wife Karen. They obviously have an excellent reputation, they are certainly very nice people, and I think he cares about his reputation for meritorious cases ... so if he takes you on, it's a good sign you will be OK!

Good luck!

I hate to say this, but most of you got it wrong about how "helpful" a lawyer is-----------actually lawyer is almost useless and 1 percent helpful. I am a student, prepared my case myself, cover letter is only one page, total package is only 100 pages, guess what, I got approved in three weeks------600 pages look like crap and the officier only has 20 to 30 minutes to decide, why the hell do you think the officier will read everything or understand everything? Writing a 20-30 page cover letter is also a waste of time.

Long, heavy application gets you nowhere!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ted8h6 said:
I hate to say this, but most of you got it wrong about how "helpful" a lawyer is-----------actually lawyer is almost useless and 1 percent helpful. I am a student, prepared my case myself, cover letter is only one page, total package is only 100 pages, guess what, I got approved in three weeks------600 pages look like crap and the officier only has 20 to 30 minutes to decide, why the hell do you think the officier will read everything or understand everything? Writing a 20-30 page cover letter is also a waste of time.

Long, heavy application gets you nowhere!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Easy, Ted. All cases are different. Your statement is not fair.

Brian