Confused about Conditional Resident Card?

jenniferinny

Registered Users (C)
I married a Canadian back in April 2005. We weren't sure yet whether we'd want to live in Canada or the states, so I lived in Canada and I didn't file the I-130 till December 2005. Since December 2005, I've been living here in the states and he's been living across the border in canada about 2 hours away. We got the approved I 130 back a couple weeks later, but we didn't get through all the other fee bills in time to file the Affidavit of Support until back in December 2006.
We got the fees sent in, but my taxes were lost and had to be refiled. Then I had to wait to get back my taxes. We also sent in the DS 230 at the same time. We just came back from our visa interview in Montreal this last weekend. Our interview was about 3 minutes long. Is that because it was just for a conditional permanent resident card? He already got back his passport with the stamp in it. He also got another packet with that he's not supposed to open until he's at a port of entry.
We checked the box on the DS230 to apply for a social security number at the same time. Does that mean he already has a social security number? Is it in that packet we're not supposed to open or do we go in to an office to apply for it? Does this mean he's allowed to apply for work now? How should we handle actually crossing the border? I was going to go pick him up in my car. All he has is some clothes to move over, we've already gotten rid of everything else. I read enough to know we definitely didn't want to try to bring his car over! Also, is he allowed to go back across the border to visit his family with a conditional permanent resident card, or would he have to apply for advance parole?
I'm just so excited I won't have to live alone anymore!
Also, hopefully I'm not mistaken, but we shouldn't have anything left to do with immigration till almost 2 years from now when we apply to remove conditional status?

Does that mean he already has a social security number?
no, it might or might not get assigned to him after his entry with an immigrant visa

Is it in that packet we're not supposed to open or do we go in to an office to apply for it?
it's not in the packet. You wait for a couple of weeks and if it doesn't arrive by mail, go to the nearest SSA office and apply for it.

Does this mean he's allowed to apply for work now?
yes

How should we handle actually crossing the border?
any way you want to, as long as it's with inspection
I read enough to know we definitely didn't want to try to bring his car over!
his car probably won't be registered here because of the differences in emissions control.

Also, is he allowed to go back across the border to visit his family with a conditional permanent resident card, or would he have to apply for advance parole?
advance parole is for people who don't have a GC yet, but are doing AOS inside the states. He doesn't need anything but his GC.

Also, hopefully I'm not mistaken, but we shouldn't have anything left to do with immigration till almost 2 years from now when we apply to remove conditional status?
if he crosses the border with his immigrant visa for the first time AFTER your second wedding anniversary, then he will get an unconditional card, and you won't have to worry about getting conditions removed. I'd recommend that.