Confirmed Jan 2004 appointment in Chennai Consulate

gcsucks:

Here is a list of the hard copy that you would get as a part of p4 which lists all required documents:
http://www.immihelp.com/forms/ds2001fill.pdf

Normally one gets p4 in usa exactly 2 weeks after the interview dates are publihsed on consulate web sites.

If for some reason you do not get it in usa you / anyone you know can pick it up from the consulate information window by providing your mdr number!

All the best!

BTW...when do you plan to change your forum id to gcyeah2004~!:)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure of gcyeah2004 maybe gcOK2004 :)
Thanks for the link. I did get the appointment letter but no P4 in the US as several members had mentioned. I will ask my brother and collect the P4 copy from the consulate window.

On another note, I'm worried of the name check thing - I have a super common last and first name. Lets hope nothing happens.....

Hi GCSucks,
Dont worry about the name check thing. THough I know it sucks big time since I went through it.
But the good news is that, god forbid, in case one gets selected for the name check, the process has become considerably efficient. Most of the cases are resolved within a month, except if there is a "HIT". A "HIT" means that there is match and then the authorities dig further into the details of that records.

I would say name checks are still quite rare for Indian scenario and hence dont worry about it yet. It seems all Cinese CPs are subjected to name check and it takes about 90 days on an average. But that is not the case with Indian CPs. So take it easy :)

But again, above are just my views and you may want to check with your lawyer for further details.

gcsucks:

I totally concur with asharma. And to add to the point...as far as name check is concerned we have no control...if it has to happen it will....and my philosophy in life is that what I cannot control, I dont worry about....what I worry about is what I have control over!

Enjoy your india trip and your last trip to the usa consulate in india!

Hi Guys,
Please pardon my absence over the last few days. I had some PCC related problems. The attorney (from the company I work) had asked me to get the police clearance certificate even before my I-140 was approved so I got it in May 2003 and nothing was told to me about the 6 months rule (neither by the attorneys nor at the US (Chinnai) consulate web site) until the post by kd1403. So I spent the last 1 week making arrangements with Consulate General of India, Houston (local jurisdiction) and CGI, New York (passport issuing place) to get it issued, luckily the traditional 3 week time was over in 5 days and an PCC was issued today (monday). So that is good.

I have also changed some traveling plans. I bought my tickets to fly directly to Madras, i.e. Houston to Frankfurt to Madras and I will be flying Lufthansa instead of KLM. I will be leaving on the 12th Jan and arriving 14th Jan early morning. Even though my appointment is on the 21st (wed). I guess I have enough of a buffer zone to get my medical tests and check up done.

Another reason I'm going early is, I have so far not received an appointment letter or , like GCsucks2003 , packet 4 (or rather the attorneys have not) and I do not have any relatives who can pick up additional copy of Packet 4, so by going early I should have the time to pick up the all the documents I need.

Besides, may be I can be of resource to bangloreman for things to do in Madras for the extra days I will be there.

To sum up my plans now are Departure (from Houston) Jan 12th (arrive on 14th) with appointment on 21st.

About the "Hit"
Unlike GCSucks2003 my last name is not very common. I have not seen much of it all, so I thought I was safe. Until a few months ago, I typed my last name in Google for fun and came with this guy in Wisconsin, with my last name who was convicted of felony. I'm not related to him. I'm not sure if that will be a problem or not. I think this guy was an immigrant too and I'm not sure what happened to his immigration status after the conviction. For safety sake I have also obtained a FBI clearance certificate, that says that I do not have any criminal record anywhere in the US and luckily I got it issued in August (so well before any 6 month restriction). Any thoughts. Will the FBI certificate help? Will the last name thing cause problems.

Thanks,

VA2:

You should get your p4 in usa by about 7th-8th january. Normally you could have got it by end of december but there may be a delay due to holiday season!

AS far as name check, i think you have done your job by getting fbi clearance certificate. Since you have gone through it please provide detailed process on how one can go about getting it as this has not been explained by anyone in the past! What forms to fill out, where to mail and so on!

Again dont worry about FBI/ NAME check coz that is pretty rare and is generally resolved within 3-4 weeks!

Hey guys,

Sorry for being missing for so long. Have been enjoying my Christmas vacation. Anyway, back to business now..

I have received my Packet 4. It went to my Indian address and was sent to me by courier by my parents. Everything looks good. I have received the appt letter and the DS230 I and II.

I have booked tkts for the 16th. I was lucky to get a good deal by Emirates. It has an extra stop in Dubai but I saved some money. I am planning to go to Chennai on the 22nd by Shatabdi. Will go to the Lister lab on the 23rd. Have got an appt with Dr. Vijaylakshmi on the 24th. Interview on the 27th. Plan to go back to B'lore the same night and wait for the passport there. Plan on coming back on the 1st. Hope thats enough time for the passport to come back. I have been noticing a trend of the passports coming back in a day or two. Is that right? Has anyone been following that?

Thanks, VA2 for the help on spending time in Chennai. I am planning for Mahabalipuram on one day for sure.

I read about a successful interview on 12/16 (RaviRR_2003). Ravi, can you please share some details....

So far I have heard of no one in the same week as myself. Where are you folks. Please post your interview dates here.

bangaloreman:

I think you should have provided sufficient time before and after your interview. You should get your passport with the approval packet by 30th jan. Yes it normally takes upto 3 working days to get the passport with packet!

Note: Make sure to tell the consular officer after your interview that you would like to have the passport asap due to your return travel plans!

I am Not in Jan But in Feb

My interview is not scheduled yet. I sent a mail to Chennai consulate and they said it would be in February.

My case has been forwarded to Chennai on 12/03/03.

Does anyone know what day the EB3 interviews start at chennai for February?

Is it 10 days before the end of the month or ??

I have blocked my tickets for 12th of Feb reaching my home town on 14th. Today is the last day to buy the ticket and it would be very difficult to get a return flight in March (I myself got confirmed on 24th after waiting for two weeks, and was trying for 14th of March).

If they schedule my interview earlier than 18th I will have to leave from here earlier as I will have some xeroxing and document arrangements for my wife and daughter to be done in India.

Please advice!
BTW, sorry to intrude in your january forum!

Does anyone know what day the EB3 interviews start at chennai for February?
Answer: There is no set date in a given month for EB category immigrant visa interviews. Generally the consulate TRIES to schedule EB interviews in the second half of the month. Emphasis is on TRIES but there have been more than a few ocassion where EB interviews have been scheduled in the first 2 weeks of the month.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is it 10 days before the end of the month or ??
Answer: Read above! Not necessary last 10 days of the month but consulate tries to do that!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have blocked my tickets for 12th of Feb reaching my home town on 14th. Today is the last day to buy the ticket and it would be very difficult to get a return flight in March (I myself got confirmed on 24th after waiting for two weeks, and was trying for 14th of March).
Answer: Since your feb interview dates are still not out and willbe finalized only in the first week of jan, i would recommend not buying the tickets yet. Since if you buy and then interview is scheduled in feb prior to your initial departure from usa then you would have to spend money on rescheduling your tickets~! Try calling chennai consulate around 5th-6th january and they should be able to tell you the exact interview date if it is scheduled for february~!

ALL THE BEST~!

As per kd1403 suggestion I'm posting information on how to get the nationwide FBI criminal clearance record (for US). This will be the first of 2, as I don't remember some of the exact details of the procedures (I got mine 5 months ago) and I hope to have them in the next post.

I went to the Department of Public safety (in Austin) to get a Texas wide criminal clearance record, I was told I could get a FBI record by sending a $18 money order and a self addressed envelope to an address in West Virginia. There should be some standard details like date of birth and social security number. Most important aspect is that you should mention in your request that you are asking for this record for "personal use only" if you mention "for immigration purposes" your request will be denied. The request letter should be accompanied with the a finger print record taken from an authorized location. Usually there is a place in the DPS where you can get it.

I will be having a post with the exact address, text of the request letter, and any other detail I missed here , in the next post shortly.

Also, one more thing about my plans. I'm coming back to US on Feb. 8th. My interview is on 21st. My trip overall will be from Jan 12th to Feb. 8th. It looks like it fits well with every thing that I may need to take care of.

Please find below the format of the letter I sent to get my FBI criminal history record.

The address to send it is located in the letter. The cost is $18 (money order only). Remember to write "for personal use only". You can get the finger print record from any Department of Public safety office in any state.

Rememeber, this is a just incase item only. Not needed or required. Just a precaution, especially if you get the IBIS "HIT".

Request for Criminal history inquiry (DO 556-73 REQUEST).

To:
Federal Bureau of Investigation
Criminal Justice Information Services Division
Attention: Record Request,
1000 Custer Hollow Road,
Clarksburg, WV, 26306

<your complete address here>

Sir,

I would like to request my FBI Identification Record under the
guidelines of the United States Department of Justice order
(DO)556-73, for personal use. Please find my identification
information and signature below. Please also find enclosed a
set of official finger prints obtained from Texas Department
of Public Safety in Austin. I have also enclosed a money order
for $18 for Treasury of the United States�.
Thank you,

Regards,

<Your name here>

Full Name: <Your name here>

Date of Birth: <Your DOB here>

Place of Birth: <Your place of birth here>

Social Security Number: <Your SS# here>

Reason for request: Personal Use.

Return Address:
<your complete address here>

<signature>

Dated: <date>

VA2:

This is excellent information. I am sure future CP candidates who are interested in getting FBI clearance done prior to their cp interview can follow this process and get a copy of their fbi check!

Great job!