Conditions on Conditional GC

JJBBKK

Registered Users (C)
Can anyone please explain to me what are the conditions on the COnditional GC and to whom do they apply to???? What is the process of geting those conditions removed and under what circumstances??? Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Hello!
The “condition” applies to the alien spouse.
The conditional GC is given to people because INS wants them to prove that they did not get married to evade the immigration laws of the US.
The conditional green card will expire in 2 year and both spouses (US citizen and GC holder alien) have to apply for a removal of condition together (form I-751), 90 days before the expiration date and pay the curent fees.
Otherwise, the conditional resident will loose his/her GC card and might be deported.

Here is an official info on conditional GC and how to remove it: http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/remcond.htm

OK thanks, i guess if you ve been married for more than 2 years then it does not apply to you and the GC will be given for 10 years right away right?

10 Year green Card

Yes you are right , i recently received a 10 year green card as I was married little over 2 years.

2 Year rule

Does the two year rule comes into play when you apply for the GC or when you get the GC? I applied for my GC in Sept '04 and had my interview in Dec '04. My two year anniversary was in Nov 2004. Will I be getting the conditional GC or the 10 year GC? If I do get the 2 year GC, can I apply for the I-751, right away, to remove the conditional GC?

Thanks.

RE: two years rule

Kush,

Two years rule start from a day when you get a GC.
For example: got married in May 2004, applied for GC in December 2004. Interview in February 2005.
GC valid 02/2005 – 02/2007.

But this rule applies only for people who, on the day of the interview,
were married for less then two years.
In your case – 2 yrs Anniversary in November, interview in December – it’s more then two years :) congratulations, you are getting 10 years Green Card!

During your interview, the INS officer should have told you if that was a conditional GC
you were getting and explain how and when to lift the condition. Since he or she did not say anyting,
that another proof of 10 yrs card for you.