Conditional GreenCard – what is the duration of it?

e17345

Registered Users (C)
Just curious, nothing urgent.

I was wondering how long the Conditional Green Card is typically for: 1 year, 2 years? I know you have re-apply once it expires but how long is it good for?Is it a set time frame or does it depend on each case?

To my understanding, the conditional green card expires on the 2nd anniversary of your marriage. So if your GC is approved after the 2nd anniversary of your marriage, then you will no get a conditional GC, but a permanent one.

It is actually the second anniversary since the date you were granted permanent residency and not the wedding anniversary.

Koobe said:
To my understanding, the conditional green card expires on the 2nd anniversary of your marriage. So if your GC is approved after the 2nd anniversary of your marriage, then you will no get a conditional GC, but a permanent one.

You won't get the Permanent automatically. You're required to petition for the removal of the set conditions before the second anniversary of the approval of the conditional status.

When to apply for remove the condition ?

DallasBM said:
It is actually the second anniversary since the date you were granted permanent residency and not the wedding anniversary.

DallasBM,

Let's say, if you was granted conditional GC on 12/22/05, does that mean you need to file I-698 (Application to Adjust Status From Temporary to Permanent Resident ) between 09/22/2007 to 12/22/2007. Am I correct?

wenxing said:
DallasBM,

Let's say, if you was granted conditional GC on 12/22/05, does that mean you need to file I-698 (Application to Adjust Status From Temporary to Permanent Resident ) between 09/22/2007 to 12/22/2007. Am I correct?

Edited to add:
You're supposed to file I-751 (Petition to Remove the Conditions on Residence) see the FAQs here http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/remcond.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Got it!

In summary:
The Conditional GC's duration is 2 years based on the date of its approval (not marriage). You must file papers to have this Condition removed on the second anniversary of the Cond. CG's approval date.

Citizenship:
If the GC was received through marriage, you can apply for citizenship on the 3rd anniversary of the Conditional/Uncoditional GC's approval date.

Conditional GC

Is this conditional GC only for the spouse of USC or also for spouse of LPR who are married less than 2 years.

Here is my situation:
I am on H1 married to GC (he has GC from 4 years)
Married just 1 year ago.

Can my husband apply for conditional GC for me?

Please help.Thanks