Concurrent filing of I-130 and I-485 - Help

ikay99

I am a naturalized U.S. citizen and would like to sponsor my mother for a green card who is currently in the U.S. on a B2 visa. She has been in the U.S. for about 45 days.

I have the following questions:

1. When filing I-130 and I-485 concurrently, should I send both applications together in the same envelope?

2. Do I need to send two separate money orders, one for I-130 and one for I-485, or can one money order be used to cover the fees for both applications if they are to be submitted concurrently in the same envelope?

2. My mother does not have a birth certificate because no proper birth records were kept and issued at that time in India. What other document or evidence can we provide to satisfy this requirement?

3. Do we need to submit a medical examination report on Form I-693, Report of Medical Examination and Vaccination Record, with the concurrent filing?

I will greatly appreciate any help.

Thanks!

See response below:

I am a naturalized U.S. citizen and would like to sponsor my mother for a green card who is currently in the U.S. on a B2 visa. She has been in the U.S. for about 45 days.

I have the following questions:

1. When filing I-130 and I-485 concurrently, should I send both applications together in the same envelope? Yes, you can send it in one envelope. Include a cover sheet listing all documents in the package.

2. Do I need to send two separate money orders, one for I-130 and one for I-485, or can one money order be used to cover the fees for both applications if they are to be submitted concurrently in the same envelope? Send separate money orders (personal checks are OK too) and attach each to the top of pertinent application.

2. My mother does not have a birth certificate because no proper birth records were kept and issued at that time in India. What other document or evidence can we provide to satisfy this requirement? You will need a letter from the village/city registrar of births confirming that your mother's birth is not on their records. That letter should be on official stationery and should include your mothers full name at birth and full names of her parents. Along with this letter, you will also need two notarized affidavits from close relatives who are aware of or witnessed her birth. You can search this forum for format of this affidavit.

3. Do we need to submit a medical examination report on Form I-693, Report of Medical Examination and Vaccination Record, with the concurrent filing? If you don't submit medical exam report, your I-485 will not be approved. If you want quick approval, submit it along with the application package.

I will greatly appreciate any help.

Thanks!

See response below:

Actually, I have a follow up question.

You mentioned that we should obtain a letter from the city/village registrar's office confirming they have no record of my mother's birth. The problem is that my mother was born in India but migrated to Pakistan at the time of India/Pakistan partition in 1947. So we cannot obtain this letter from the city/village where she was born in India since I don't have any contacts there.

I read somewhere that school records indicating birth dates can also suffice in such situations. My mother has a 10th grade certificate that shows her date of birth. We can try to get an affidavit from my uncles and aunts regarding the correctness of her birth date but they live in other countries such as in Canada or Pakistan. I don't know if they notarize documents there. I think in other countries they call it certified not notarized. I hope this doesn't cause any problems.

Any comments regarding the above?

Thank you so much for your help. A little kindness goes a long way.

You are welcome. My mom went through this process successfully this April - if you have any further questions you can contact me by sending a private message.

Actually, I have a follow up question.

You mentioned that we should obtain a letter from the city/village registrar's office confirming they have no record of my mother's birth. The problem is that my mother was born in India but migrated to Pakistan at the time of India/Pakistan partition in 1947. So we cannot obtain this letter from the city/village where she was born in India since I don't have any contacts there.

I read somewhere that school records indicating birth dates can also suffice in such situations. My mother has a 10th grade certificate that shows her date of birth. We can try to get an affidavit from my uncles and aunts regarding the correctness of her birth date but they live in other countries such as in Canada or Pakistan. I don't know if they notarize documents there. I think in other countries they call it certified not notarized. I hope this doesn't cause any problems.

Any comments regarding the above?

If you cannot go there personally you can try this service www.yourmaninindia.com which is run by a well established business group in India. If relatives are in Canada/Pakistan, get the affidavits signed by a notary or other equivalent person there.