Concurrent filing N400 and I-485

rishabh50

Registered Users (C)
I am green card holder and will be filing for my Citizenship (N 400) in April 2012. My wife is currently on H1 visa. Can I file for her Green Card (i.e I-130 and I-485 ) the same time I file my N-400. Or should I wait till I get my citizenship and then file for her Green card.

I have been googling a lot and have found mixed and confusing responses. Has anyone been in a similar situation? Can anyone guide me?

I'll appreciate any help.
Thanks
RJ

I am green card holder and will be filing for my Citizenship (N 400) in April 2012. My wife is currently on H1 visa. Can I file for her Green Card (i.e I-130 and I-485 ) the same time I file my N-400. Or should I wait till I get my citizenship and then file for her Green card.

I have been googling a lot and have found mixed and confusing responses. Has anyone been in a similar situation? Can anyone guide me?

I'll appreciate any help.
Thanks
RJ

No.

You can't file the I-130 and I-485 together before you're a US citizen. However, you can file the I-130 when you're still a green card holder, and then her I-485 can be filed after you get citizenship.