CONCERNING NEWS for ALL CP Applicants!!

sanjay76

Registered Users (C)
Folks,

I think the important question here is:

WHEN IS A CP APPLICANT (AT WHICH STAGE OF THE PROCESS) ALLOCATED AN IMMIGRANT VISA#?

I think that the Visa #s are allocated after one submits the Packet3 to NVC and BEFORE NVC sends the Application to the foreign Consulate.

Experienced CPers - please comment.
Thanks
S

Please see the following:

http://www.murthy.com/news/n_bacred.html

Backlog Reduction may Impact Employment Priority Dates
Posted Aug 06, 2004
©MurthyDotCom

The U.S. Department of State (DOS) Visa Bulletin for August 2004 mentioned that the priority dates in the employment-based categories could retrogress at some point in the future. One of the reasons for this is that the USCIS has embarked on a series of programs to reduce their case backlogs.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I understood your question right, here is my answer:

Immigrant Visa is granted at the US Consulate abroad, when you go for your CP interview.

If you are talking about CASE NUMBER, they are granted once your application reaches NVC after I-140 application. In fact, you get to see your case number when you get your NVC fee bill.

In case of AC-I140 applicants, the case number is granted by the Consulate once the attorney's AC-140 application reaches the Consulate.

Sansin,

I was talking about the IMMIGRANT VISA # and not NVC case #. The two are different. My understanding is that the IMMIGRANT VISA # is allocated to the Applicant before the case is forwarded to the consulate. I am asking this question to see if this new news might have any impact on people's CP process.

S

Sanjay,
According to my understanding the Immigrant visa # is the A # which you get at the US consulate only and in other words you will never know your immigrant visa # until your case is approved by US consulate.

So who sends that number or is it auto generated or some things else, I don't know.

thanks

According to this information the Immigrant Visa # is generated by DC office and only after this is the application sent over to the Consulate abroad.

S

http://www.immserve.com/cons_pro.htm#Tracking the Process and Saving Time

vm1214 said:
Sanjay,
According to my understanding the Immigrant visa # is the A # which you get at the US consulate only and in other words you will never know your immigrant visa # until your case is approved by US consulate.

So who sends that number or is it auto generated or some things else, I don't know.

thanks

i) Try to ignore Murthy's updates as they mean nothing.

ii) Generation of A# is the visa number for CP applicants.

iii) Generation of A# means absolutely nothing for the AOS applicants, except that it is a means of tracking and when the AOS is finally approved and you go for the stamping, an officer will check into his/her system if an IV is available on that day. If so, he will stamp your passport, if not he will ask you to come in 1-15 days.

It's worth mentioning that in the prehistoric days (i.e., before president Clinton's enactment), AOS folks were not allowed to file 485 if IVs were not available. So, they had to wait from 0 months (EB-1) to upto 2 years (EB-3) after approval of their I-140s.

iv) The Department of State is more streamlined than the CIS and avoids this problem altogether by 'blocking' a IV for you as soon as your P3 is reviewed (in fact, that's part of the P3 reviewing).

v) If indeed the line is jammed, as Murthy wants many to think, NVC will take longer before sending out your case to the consulate. But it's not happening in the next few years!

sanjay76 said:
According to this information the Immigrant Visa # is generated by DC office and only after this is the application sent over to the Consulate abroad.

{ What about the AC-140 Case ? They don't go through the DC office initially and more over the appointment letter for all types of CP cases come through DC office so A# is generated before the appointment letter or after the appointment letter ? }