Comprehensive Immigration Bill at Senate

GOD_BLESS_YOU

Registered Users (C)
Comprehensive Immigration Reform Bill at Senate

Here is the first step:
on Feb 16th, Executive Business Meeting, the Senate Judiciary marked up the Comprehensive Immigration Reform bill...

http://judiciary.senate.gov/meeting_notice.cfm?id=1763

II. Bills

H.R. 683, Trademark Dilution Revision Act of 2005
[Smith – TX]

S. 1768, A bill to permit the televising of Supreme Court proceedings
[Specter, Leahy, Cornyn, Grassley, Schumer, Feingold, Durbin]

S. 829, Sunshine in the Courtroom Act of 2005
[Grassley, Schumer, Cornyn, Leahy, Feingold, Durbin, Graham, DeWine, Specter]

S. _____, Comprehensive Immigration Reform [Chairman’s Mark]

Last edited by a moderator:
Good improvements if passed !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.ncsl.org/programs/immig/Immigreformbills0206.htm

To reduce immigration backlogs, the bill exempts immediate relatives (spouses, children and parents of U.S. citizens) from the annual visa cap of 480,000 family sponsored visas. The bill allows unused family visas from previous years to be made available in future years. Employment visas are increased from 140,000 to 290,000 per year, and “rollover” of unused visas is allowed. The per country limits for family and employment visas are increased from 7 percent to 10 percent of the annual total visas issued. The preference categories within family and employment visas are also adjusted.

Sen. Specter lays out immigration reform plan
Judiciary panel chair's idea includes guest-worker visa.

By DENA BUNIS
The Orange County Register

WASHINGTON – Judiciary Committee Chairmen Arlen Specter this morning has laid down his own marker for comprehensive immigration reform that combines enhanced enforcement with a temporary guest-worker program as well as an opportunity for the estimated 11 million illegal immigrants here now to come out of the shadows and work legally.

Specter's bill – which combines elements from several other immigration proposals – sets the scene for what is likely to be a protracted and contentious debate, first in the Senate and then with the House, which passed a bill in December that does not include any new guest-worker provisions and would not allow illegal immigrants to work here legally. The Judiciary Committee will begin reviewing the proposal Thursday.

The measure responds to President Bush's call for immigration reform that includes tough enforcement measures at the borders and interior sections of the country and the ability of the business community to get the labor officials say the economy needs. And it runs counter to a wing of the Republican party – mostly in the House – who say such provisions amount to an amnesty and would reward those who illegally entered this country or overstayed their visas.

The 350-page bill, obtained this morning by the Register, includes:

• Additional enforcement agents, increased technology at the border, a requirement for the Department of Homeland Security to submit plans for systematic surveillance of land and sea borders, as well as a national strategy for border security. It requires DHS to report to Congress on whether a fencing system along the northern, southern and maritime borders of the U.S. is necessary. It tightens laws regarding deportation, increases penalties for document fraud, particularly as it relates to marriage fraud.

• A new workplace enforcement program, including a measure authored by Rep. Ken Calvert, R-Corona, that would require employers to check the Social Security numbers of new hires against a federal data base. Unlike the bill passed by the House, most employers would have to check only new workers, although the homeland security secretary could require workplaces with potential homeland or national security concerns to also check the status of current employees. The employer plan would be phased in over five years.

• Creates a new temporary worker visa – H-2C. Residents of foreign countries who can show they have a job waiting can get this visa for three years, renewable for another three years. These workers would be required to return to their home countries after their work visas expire.

• Creates a new student visa category – F-4. This would allow students pursuing advanced degrees in math, engineering, technology or the physical sciences to stay in the United States for a year after they graduate to look for work. If they get a job, they would be allowed to get a green card after paying a $1,000 fee and passing security clearances.

• Increases the number of employment-based green cards from 140,000 to 290,000.

• Increases the number of visas available for unskilled workers.

• Creates a new conditional work authorization status. This would allow illegal immigrants who can prove they were here and working in the United States before Jan. 4, 2004, to pay a $500 fee, undergo background checks, pay any income taxes owed for work before Jan. 4, 2004, and get a conditional work status. Illegal immigrants who have been ordered deported would not be eligible for this status.

http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister/homepage/abox/article_1016378.php

Senator seeks middle ground on immigration enforcement bill By Emily Heil, CongressDaily

A Senate immigration proposal that began circulating Friday is easier on employers than the immigration-enforcement bill that the House adopted last year, but its plan for a temporary worker program still appears likely to attract critics on both sides of the issue.

Under a proposal by Senate Judiciary Chairman Arlen Specter, R-Pa., that incorporates components of bills by committee members, employers would have to verify the legal status of all new employees -- unlike the House bill that requires companies to check the legality of all their workers, existing hires as well as new.

In a nod to the business community, which argued that the House bill was too onerous, Specter's bill would phase in over five years the requirement that all companies use a government database to check employees' status, in contrast to the House bill's two-year phase-in period.

The committee will begin considering the chairman's mark during a markup session Thursday.
According to an outline of the mark, illegal workers would be permitted to join a guestworker program that would allow them to remain in the United States for three years, with the possibility of extending their stay for an additional three years. After that, the workers would be required to return to their home country.

The draft also would lift the cap on worker visas for certain foreign-born skilled workers, raising the H1-B visa cap to 150,000 for temporary workers who hold advanced degrees in science, technology, engineering or math from a U.S. university. In fiscal 2005, Congress reserved an additional 20,000 H1-B visas for those workers.
Visa availability has been a perennial issue for business since Congress slashed the cap by 130,000 in 2002, down to 65,000. At its peak, the cap stood at 195,000. Earlier this month, President Bush urged Congress to raise the H1-B cap.

Tamar Jacoby, a senior fellow with the right-of-center Manhattan Institute, said the Specter proposal is not likely to satisfy either Republicans who are opposed to expanding immigration or many Republicans and Democrats who want a guestworker plan that gives illegal workers a "path" to permanent citizenship.

"The hardliners will see it as amnesty, and the reformers will say it won't work," she said.

The bill also includes some of the tougher enforcement provisions included in the House bill. For example, it makes it a criminal offense to be in the country unlawfully and an aggravated felony to harbor an illegal entrant.

Specter must win over conservatives and moderates on his committee, a difficult feat given the contentious topic and the backdrop of election-year politics. Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist, R-Tenn., has said he wants the Senate to begin debating an immigration bill by the end of March and is readying his own legislation in case the committee does not pass a bill.

Specter, however, has been firm that his committee's product will wind up on the floor. The bill includes border security elements likely to please conservatives, as well as family reunification proposals and an increase in the number of employment-based green cards from 140,000 to 290,000 that immigrant advocates have sought.

"There's something for everyone to like in the mark, but there's also a poison pill for everyone," Jacoby said. "But this is only a first draft."

http://www.govexec.com/dailyfed/0206/022406cdpm2.htm

This bill is very bad news for all oversubscribed countries (India, China, Philipines, Mexico). It strikes away the section (I will post the details later) that allows for a EB-1 or EB-2 or EB-3 visas to be used by the same category irrespective of country limit. So If ROW consumed only 13000 visas out of 43,000 in a year (say for EB-2), rest 30,000 can be consumed by India nad China, even though current limit is 2700 for each nation. That applies to EB-1 and EB-3 also. That is why almost 40,000 Indians could get GC in a year when the limit is only 10,700.

The current section is called,

SEC. 104. LIMITATION ON PER COUNTRY CEILING WITH RESPECT TO EMPLOYMENT-BASED IMMIGRANTS.
(a) SPECIAL RULES- Section 202(a) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C.1152(a)) is amended by adding at the end the following new paragraph:
“(5) RULES FOR EMPLOYMENT-BASED IMMIGRANTS-
“(A) EMPLOYMENT-BASED IMMIGRANTS NOT SUBJECT TO PER COUNTRY LIMITATION IF ADDITIONAL VISAS AVAILABLE- If the total number of visas available under paragraph (1), (2), (3), (4), or (5) of section 203(b) for a calendar quarter exceeds the number of qualified immigrants who may otherwise be issued such visas, the visas made available under that paragraph shall be issued without regard to the numerical limitation under paragraph (2) of this subsection during the remainder of the calendar quarter.

If anyone strikes down section 5 or 5 (A), This provision is gone.

The current bill has to say this

Section 502 SAYS THAT THEY WILL STRIKE PARAGRAPH 2.
iN ASSENCE WHAT IT MEANS IS INdians, will get no more than, 4300 EB-1 visa, 4300, eb-2 visas and eb-3 10,150. Not a visa more. The grand total is 18750 visas for Indians, when we are consuming almost more than double this number even under retrogression!!!. If this passes, guys in later year, kiss good bye to your GC dream. Though this is music for non- oversubscribed countries.

Comments anyone

rgds,
ak

akela said:
Section 502 SAYS THAT THEY WILL STRIKE PARAGRAPH 2.
iN ASSENCE WHAT IT MEANS IS INdians, will get no more than, 4300 EB-1 visa, 4300, eb-2 visas and eb-3 10,150. Not a visa more.
The combination of increasing the per-country limit to 10% and the quota to 290K would make available more visas than that.

Wouldn't the fact that no dependants count towards the quota

akela said:
humm I thought that I did that math, did I, yes I did and that is the final number.

and also that Advanced degree holders with 3 years work-ex are not counted help?

I am sorry, I did not read these provision. I just concentrated on these measures. If that is indeed there, that is a very very big help. Apologies. Can you provide the relevant cut and paste if you dont mind. With Red wine few pegs,I dunno If I can do so much reform. Thanks if the news is indeed right.
I will close the other two threads that I have written these facts in.

Thanks,
akela

akela said:
I am sorry, I did not read these provision. I just concentrated on these measures. If that is indeed there, that is a very very big help. Apologies. Can you provide the relevant cut and paste if you dont mind. With Red wine few pegs,I dunno If I can do so much reform. Thanks if the news is indeed right.
I will close the other two threads that I have written these facts in.

Thanks,
akela
see the section 409 on page 239 of the attached draft pdf for this..
pdf is secured so i could not copy and paste.. see the attached bmp

02/24/2005: Sen. Arlen Specter's "Comprehensive Immigration Reform Act of 2006" Draft

AILA has obtained and summarized the draft of Senator Specter's draft of Comprehensive Immigration Reform Act of 2006, which will be introduced in the Senate Judiciary shortly. We are happy to report that when it comes to the employment-based immigration, this bill incorporates the following key elements:
Recapture of employment-based immigration visa numbers since FY 2001
Exempt from the employment-based numerical limitation of the spouses and children of the EB immigrants
Exempt from the employment-based numerical limitation for (1) the advanced degree holders in Science, Technology, Engineering, or Mathematics with 3 years of work experience in the major fields in the U.S., or (2) National Interest Waiver EB-2.
Increase of employment-based immigrant quota from 140,000 to 290,000 with the allocations in EB-1=15%, EB-2=15%, EB-3 Skilled Worker/Professional=35%, Other Worker (Unskilled)=Upto 30%, and EB-4 Investor Immigrant=5%.
Special green card eligibility for the U.S. Doctorate Degree holders under the new F-4 visa program in Mathematics, Engineering, Technology or Physical Sciences with full full-time employment
Increase of H-1B annual quota from 65,000 to 115,000 or a market-based increase beyond 115,000
H-1B cap exempt for those advanced degree holders in the fields of Science, Technology, Engineering or Mathematics (not limited to the U.S. degree holders)
New F-4 visa for those pursuing advanced degree program in Mathematics, Engineering, Technology or Physical Sciences with the accompanying benefits of "intending immigrant" in certain cases, special handling labor certification application for immigration, and for the doctoral degree holders in the U.S., green-card eligibility
OPT period change for all the F-1 students from the current 12 months to 24 months and off-campus employment opportunity unrelated to the filed of study on or off academic terms under certain conditions.
Unfortunately, the Senator dropped from S. 1932 the provision on availability of I-485 filings for employment-based immigrants during the period of retrogression. We urge the Senate to reinstate this provision in the final draft of his bill before it is introduced to the Senate Judiciary Committee.

http://www.immigration-law.com/Canada.html

This is my prediction...

50% is the chance that the Congress will pass law-enforcement only bill for now, and put on hold amnesty or guest-worker permits for illegals. Leave guest-worker/amnesty to be implemented later, upon proof that immigration laws have been enforced.

40% is the chance that the Congress will pass law-enforcement only bill for now, and put on hold amnesty or guest-worker permits for illegals. Leave guest-worker/amnesty to be implemented later, upon proof that immigration laws have been enforced. Provide a remedy to the EB applicants, but do not pass the 'exemption for spouses' provision.

30% is the chance that the Congress will pass law-enforcement only bill for now, and put on hold amnesty or guest-worker permits for illegals. Leave guest-worker/amnesty to be implemented later, upon proof that immigration laws have been enforced. Pass provision "exemption of spouses" and make all dates current.

let me add, my estimate is that a law that requires an advanced degree in technical fields may well pass (although it doesn't help me, because I don't have the masters in the technical field). Recapture of visa numbers should be very acceptable as well. Not counting spouses (on a permanent basis) or increasing the visa to 290K/year is a just Senator's dream. I doubt the latter would pass. Numbersusa.com and Americans are out there fed up with that proposal. Praying to good Lord I am wrong though.

marlon2006 said:
50% is the chance that the Congress will pass law-enforcement only bill for now, and put on hold amnesty or guest-worker permits for illegals. Leave guest-worker/amnesty to be implemented later, upon proof that immigration laws have been enforced.

40% is the chance that the Congress will pass law-enforcement only bill for now, and put on hold amnesty or guest-worker permits for illegals. Leave guest-worker/amnesty to be implemented later, upon proof that immigration laws have been enforced. Provide a remedy to the EB applicants, but do not pass the 'exemption for spouses' provision.

30% is the chance that the Congress will pass law-enforcement only bill for now, and put on hold amnesty or guest-worker permits for illegals. Leave guest-worker/amnesty to be implemented later, upon proof that immigration laws have been enforced. Pass provision "exemption of spouses" and make all dates current.

marlon2006 said:
Not counting spouses (on a permanent basis) or increasing the visa to 290K/year is a just Senator's dream. I doubt the latter would pass.
I agree. The bill is asking for waaaay too much and it has no chance of passing as it is. If there is no room for negotiation, the whole bill will be DOA. Recapture of unused numbers plus exemptions for certain degree holders, and a guest worker program that is only available to those who apply in their home country and not illegals already here, is about as much as the other politicians will allow.

The current Immigration act Section 212 .5 A ( http://uscis.gov/lpBin/lpext.dll/in...?f=templates&fn=document-frame.htm#slb-act212) reads as follows:

(5) Labor certification and qualifications for certain immigrants.-

(A) Labor certification.-

(i) In general.-Any alien who seeks to enter the United States for the purpose of performing skilled or unskilled labor is inadmissible, unless the Secretary of Labor has determined and certified to the Secretary of State and the Attorney General that-

(I) there are not sufficient workers who are able, willing, qualified (or equally qualified in the case of an alien described in clause (ii)) and available at the time of application for a visa and admission to the United States and at the place where the alien is to perform such skilled or unskilled labor, and

(II) the employment of such alien will not adversely affect the wages and working conditions of workers in the United States similarly employed.

(ii) Certain aliens subject to special rule.-For purposes of clause (i)(I), an alien described in this clause is an alien who-

(I) is a member of the teaching profession, or
(II) has exceptional ability in the sciences or the arts.

From this we know that people with "exceptional ability in the sciences or the arts." (EB1 category ) are exempt from LC and start their GC process directly with I140.

On page 240 of the new Comprehensive Immigration Reform Bill from Specter
under Labor certification the current Immigration act section 212 is proposed to be modified to include :
5 (A) (ii) (III) people with advanced degree.

Does this mean that people with advanced degree will also be exempt from obtaining a labor Certification.

marlon2006 said:

Lets all hope something passes. The flip side to the coin is that there is complete gridlock between the house and the senate and the whitehouse is so weakened by DP world and the Iraq mess that nothing at all passes. After the recent track record on social security etc. that is not that far fetched at all. The current Congressional mood is very much against the senate and white house.

I am not in favor of anything being passed. The current system being unfair is still better for people like me (EB-2 iNDIA). The new proposed system is very very bad. If it fails at least I am raising a toast.

In last few years Indians (substitute it for any oversubscribed country), have consumed between 40,000- 50,000 GC in a year based on current law (Due to no country restriction in each category). The new law would make the highest limit that an Indians can claim is 29,000 an year. That is a big big loss.

Thanks
akela