Complete Silence from USCIS! Is it normal?

GCard_Dream

Registered Users (C)
Friend of mine filed for political asylum about two and half years ago. Soon after he had his interview done at the local USCIS office in Phoenix and the interviewer said that he will be notified of the decision in the mail. It's been about 2 1/2 years already but he hasn't heard a thing on his case. He did get his Employment authorization and had it renewed once already. Here are few questions now:

1. Is it normal to take years and not to hear a word on your case from USCIS?
2. Is it possible to check his case status on line? I don't believe he has a case number like WAC-xx-xxx-xxxxx. He does have a "A number", however.
3. If he is not granted asylum, is he simply asked to leave the country or does he have an option to appeal?

Your input will be very much appreciated.

GCard_Dream
There's nothing unusual about it. My own case proves it. After two years I started wondering if my case is being considered at all and wrote a letter to the AO. Less than a week later I received approval letter and I-94, which tells me that the case was ready, but some lazy asshole did not bother to send the decision on time. :mad:

GCard_Dream said:
Friend of mine filed for political asylum about two and half years ago. Soon after he had his interview done at the local USCIS office in Phoenix and the interviewer said that he will be notified of the decision in the mail. It's been about 2 1/2 years already but he hasn't heard a thing on his case. He did get his Employment authorization and had it renewed once already. Here are few questions now:

2. Is it possible to check his case status on line? I don't believe he has a case number like WAC-xx-xxx-xxxxx. He does have a "A number", however.
3. If he is not granted asylum, is he simply asked to leave the country or does he have an option to appeal?

He has to make sure that there was no mail lost.If this is the case,he/she may have an approval notice lost.If his/her case was denied,he/she missed an appointment letter from the judge and automatically he/she is under deportation.In this case,only lawyer can help.By his/her own there is nothing to do.By his/her alien number,a lawyer can track is case and tell him/her what is the situation at this stage.ASK YOUR FRIEND TO HIRE A LAWYER.Only lawyer will be able to track a case via alien number and tell him/her what's going on.

RD Aug 22,2001
Approved Sep 15,2005
GC received Sep 20,2005

GCard_Dream said:

I THINK THIS IS NOT NORMAL , AND HE NEED TO DO INFOPASS ASAP

cadel said:
He has to make sure that there was no mail lost.If this is the case,he/she may have an approval notice lost.If his/her case was denied,he/she missed an appointment letter from the judge and automatically he/she is under deportation.In this case,only lawyer can help.By his/her own there is nothing to do.By his/her alien number,a lawyer can track is case and tell him/her what is the situation at this stage.ASK YOUR FRIEND TO HIRE A LAWYER.Only lawyer will be able to track a case via alien number and tell him/her what's going on.
RD Aug 22,2001
Approved Sep 15,2005
GC received Sep 20,2005
correct...I agree.

Thank you very much guys for your valuable inputs. I'll have him check with a lawyer about the case status.