Company Not filing I-485

Appu123

Registered Users (C)
My company over night changed the policy and not filing for green card irrespective of their stage (I-485, I140 etc). Attorney said one could file on his or her own to proceed further. In my case I got laid off and company ask me to go to their India office. So I may not employment letter also. But I will get all required documents to file for I485. What to do? Can I file I485 with out Employment letter? Please help me. I am with the company for last 4 years.

Man, you are one of the most unlucky person in the earth.

Even if they lay you off after submitting I-485, you may have some chance. Now I dont see you have any chance at all with this company. You may have to go back india or find a new job with new H-1B.

Well employment letter is a must requirement for I-485 filing. Even if you file, INS may send you RF

well

you can always get employment letter in another pretext eg: for car loan. hey i\'m not implying anything here just for info.

Look for another company

My understanding is Labor Certification never gets expire, Prior to the portatbility rule, During the GC process if you ever get laid off from the company.

Then You can proceed with the same labor certification provided you have satisfied three clauses : 1) Same Region where the application was approved 2) Approximately same salary 3) Similiar job position.

Before going back to India. Double check with the lawyer about the above 3 conditions.

I wish, if I could have helped you.

Thanks

Sayed

You mean Priority dates DO NOT expire.

Labor has to be done again, if your company changes!!
Appu take advice of legal counsel!

They should not deny you an employment letter. They can refuse to do the

GC though. Tell them you need an employment letter with the header,
"TO whomsover may it concern" and proceed with your date of hire, summary of duties and salary. This format is not necessarily for GC.

AC21

Jim,
Since I-485 is filed by the employee, if the employee has a new employment offer (same or similar) and an approved I-140, can he not take a chance of filing the I-485 and take the AC21 route (hoping of-course that it does not get adjudicated within 180 days).

If the law does not require that the alien work for the sponsoring employer till he gets his GC, and AC21 allows the alien to change the sponsoring employer (if the adjustment of status is not adjudicated within 180 days & same or similar job), where do you see a problem? AC21 does not say when the employer can be changed? It only mentions that \'a change\' is allowed.

AC21 can be applied only if ...

I-485 is already filed.
I think, any lay-off before filing I-485 invalidates I-140.

Please consult a lawyer ASAP.
My 2 cents.

Layoff does not cancel I-140

A layoff does not invalidate the approved I-140. The only thing that can invalidate an I-140 is the petitioner requesting to the INS that it be canceled. EB immigrant visas are completely different from non-immigrant employment, and the termination of the non-immigrant employment does not invalidate the I-140.

If the I-140 is canceled, my (non-legal) opinion would be that you should file the I-485, with the intention of working for the sponsor. If the I-140 has not been canceled, they (in the eyes of the law) still intend to hire you.

Of course it does not invalidate an I-140

But it is immigration fraud to file an I-485 based on a position that you know you will not join since it does not exist. Just because the I-140 is not cancelled does not mean that the company intends to hire you. If that were so there would be no need for an employment letter when filing an I-485. For an employment based GC to be issued there must be a job "immediately available" and it seems ridiculouslly clear that a job is NOT immediately available.

Jim

James D. Mills
Attorney at Law
http://www.geocities.com/jamesdmillsesq/

But if the alien has a same or similar job offer?

Does it not mean that the \'job\' is immediately available? Why should it matter if its with a different company, since the AC21 allows for a change of employer anyway. I would agree with your argument that it would mean an immigration fraud if there is no job offer in hand at all.

What is the cutoff date for the employer that it cannot

withdraw I-140? How do you check
if I-140 has been withdrawn??
In some cases it is not better to
talk to employer after the layoff
because they may think it saves some
bucks for them in the budget crunch time
and act on a whim. Which is the best option,
tell and request the employer not to retract
or just sit tight on your ass hoping INS doesn\'t adjudicate before 180 days??

But if it takes more than 180 days......

Agreed that AC21 would apply only if > than 180 days. But if it takes more than 180 days, will it not work? If adjudicated within 180 days, then bad luck.

No Title

I was in the same situation as u. But my Attorney was on my side. He filed I-485 with out the employment letter, i got the my EAD, receipt notice, AP & now FP. The only thing he said get an employment letter from the present employer at the some time in couple of months & at the same time look at the earliest fr some other company to work.

Good Luck, I know what u are going through, but as my attorney said lets take a chance & touch wood it is working out fr me