Company charging employees for PERM

Rahul_

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I recently discovered that my company has been deducting all PERM related expenses from the beneficiaries' salary in many cases. I am a bit scared now that if the D.O.L. discover this, they along with rejecting those applications, may also also reject the ones where the employer has paid the expenses. Can it also impact people who have already received their E.A.D. ?
if the DOL concludes that the company is guilty, what is the worst that the company and employees may have to face?

Thanks,
Rahul.

It depends when this occurred. Prior to mid-2007, it was lawful for the employees to cover PERM/Labor Cert-related costs. However in the DOL's final rule in June/July (can't remember which month) 2007, the employee may no longer cover PERM-related costs. Have you talked to your company about this or showed them this ruling? Or if there is an attorney involved, the attorney should have advised the employer of this rule. If you are talking about EAD/AP/I-140/I-485, it is fine if you pay out of your own pocket; however, for PERM LC, it is not lawful for you to do so as of mid-2007. Hopefully this information helps.