common law marriage affecting I-130 status?

chromedOut

Registered Users (C)
I'm in an inquisitive mood today. same friend that is frustrated about the snail's pace of her PD is worried about how her relationship may affect her I-130.

she's family sponsored first preference (unmarried daughter of citizen). she is aware that she will forfeit her status if she gets married -- her boyfriend is illegal (I'm not sure if he's illegal illegal or simply an overstay). however, she has been living with her boyfriend for a number of years. and I believe her relationship meets the "common marriage" conditions. will this put her at risk when it comes time to file her AOS?

she is also looking to get pregnant, and I addressed that with her. she's prepared to state in the interview that it was an unwanted pregnancy and that she's a single parent.

Depends what state she lives in

Hi Chromed,

From what I know, all states have a different number of years of living together for it to be considered "common law marriage." I know that here in California where I'm from, it is 10 years so it really depends on where your friend lives. What state is she from?

I am aware that definitions vary by state. she lives in texas and length of cohabitation isn't defined. but it is understood to be anywhere from 2-3 years. she obviously meets that.