Combining OCI application with Indian Passport cancellation?

rthomas

Hello,

I received US citizenship about 10 months ago and my wife got it 2 months ago. We are now applying for OCI and it requires only copies of Indian and US Passports. But I understand that OCI cards are issued only after Indian passports are cancelled and our passports are not cancelled yet.

So am wondering if we could go ahead and send my Indian passports along with OCI application and that would take care of both the cancellation of Indian passport and issuing of OCI cards. Also, do they need my original US passport at any stage of this process?

I was trying to reach the Houston Embassy and **no suprises here** was bowled over by their outstanding customer "no-service" phone lines.

Any help/info/experience with this is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I have seen few applicants send their passports for cancellations when they were getting U-visa stamp affixed.. so you can either send it along with the form or send it at the end when you are getting the passport affixed. I have sent my application and will send in the passport for cancellation along with my US passports.

s_a_kumar

Hello,

I received US citizenship about 10 months ago and my wife got it 2 months ago. We are now applying for OCI and it requires only copies of Indian and US Passports. But I understand that OCI cards are issued only after Indian passports are cancelled and our passports are not cancelled yet.

So am wondering if we could go ahead and send my Indian passports along with OCI application and that would take care of both the cancellation of Indian passport and issuing of OCI cards. Also, do they need my original US passport at any stage of this process?

I was trying to reach the Houston Embassy and **no suprises here** was bowled over by their outstanding customer "no-service" phone lines.

Any help/info/experience with this is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!