college..

juny0417

hey iam a student at a college in new jersey..but recently my parents moved to north carolina and filed for residency there..now iam considered a resident of north carolina and we are going to file for citizenship in the end of april..i have a question will it be possible to stay in new jersey for summer classes and file for residency from north carolina..because iam not considered a independednt student..i will be staying at a friends house for the the time that i take my courses..if someone can help that will be great thank you..

Before jumping into the answers, please provide more details so people on this forum could help:
- Are you 18 years or older for an individual application or a dependent
- What is the basis of N-400 application (assuming its 5 year on PR)
- Will you be staying at your friend's place throught the N-400 application process (it appears you are there temp.)
- How long its been since your parents moved to NC?
- Has the new address being updated with the UCIS (filing AR11)

Thanks

If you have a New Jersey driver's license and have several more years left in school, apply in New Jersey.

USCIS considered my college address my physical address though my permanent residence was in another area. They caught on to this when they noticed that the permanent and mailing addresses fell under different offices.

Koolvik 7 iam 20 years old but still depentdent on my parents...who moved to nc in jaunary and its about to be three months..it has been 5 years for PR...and the new address has been updated with ucis..iam only staying at my friends house until iam done with classes and i will be there through out the process of n-400

Thank you providing the answers juny0417. Here is my take on it, others please jump in as well:

• Since you are over 18, USCIS will consider your N-400 application independently, which means you can have a separate (physical) address then your parents.
  • Though I am not tracking the NJ timeline, its much faster than my DO (Washington DC) and I believe its taking about 5 months for the Citizenship application to complete (unless of course you are stuck in a Name Check)
  • You should have been living in your DO at least three months before filing for the Citizenship application. It would be good if that address shows on your Driver’s License + there are some utility bills to prove it further
  • Again, please file from the location using the address where you will be living during the entire N-400 application process. If you change your physical address (from NJ to NC) in the middle of the process, your Citizenship process will be delayed as your file will be transferred to your current location (assuming you will file AR11 – change of address)
Hope this helps.