Citizenship

maggiv

Registered Users (C)
I have a few questions regarding my case to apply for citizenship. My green card was approved on 7/5/01 and as per some people here I know that I shall be eligible to apply for citizenship at the end of 5 years-90 days which would be on 4/5/06. Am I right?

When my green card was approved, I was working for my sponsored employer and on 10/21/01 was laid off because of business conditions. But though I was eligible to apply for UI, I didn't do it and was lucky enough to find another job of similar nature within 3 months. The other job was started on 2/4/02 and ended with a layoff again on 9/16/02. When this layoff came, I applied for UI and exhausted all my benefits before I could find another job. Once I found another job, I worked only for 3 months from 5/28/03 to 8/28/03. In the meantime, I started playing the stock market and started learning all the aspects of trading the market. Since that job, I didn't find another job and I became more like a trader and have been having very success playing it. The money that comes from playing the market is used for paying the bills and taking care of the mortgage. Since I made a handsome money during the heydays of stock market between 1998 and 2000, I was able to use that as a resource to play the market. Particularly I don't have anyone to take money from either here or in India. All the money that I use is my hard earned money from my previous jobs and also from stock market. I also own a house which has amost doubled since I bought it.

Since becoming a PR, I have travelled only one day to Canada(less than 24 hours) and 1 month to India from 12/30/04 to 01/31/2005. I have been paying all my taxes until 2004 tax year without fail and have been clean in terms of traffic violations and other violations.

Now my question is when will I really be eligible to apply for citizenship? Even if I apply will I be able to get it. Will INS be questioning me about my employment for the last 2 years. IS daytrading considered gambling?I have the letter for my layoffs from both my previous employer from 2001 and 2002. Please gurus advise me of my situation.

Thanks a lot.

Citizenship eligibility is not tied to one's employment status, income, amount of money made, net worth, etc. You are as eligible as anyone else and can apply 90 days before your 5th anniversary of getting green card.

As long as your name is not in FBI criminal Record and as long as you support your self for your survival and paid tax properly and not been away from US for more than six months you deserve to be a citizen.