Citizenship Requirement Paper works

thedude

Registered Users (C)
Hi everyone.

This question perhaps had been asked before but for whatever reason I can't seems to find it anywhere.

Anyway, I'm trying to prepare paper works for my citizenship applications which I believe I may be eligible to apply sometime in Nov next year. I got my GC approved and stamped in Feb 14, 2000.

In one of the required docs it asked what's the total time I was outside of the country. Do I have to be very specific? I live in Seattle and I used to go back and forward on weekends to visit my then fiancee in Vancouver BC and I don't believe I ever logged the dates. Should I start working on this in details? :eek:

Also, there might be a chance that I may have the option to move down to California area. The question is should I move since I heard that processing time for people living in California is a lot longer than the one in Seattle (I think it's Nebraska processing center for state of WA). Like I said, I have the choice whether I want to move or not. I don't have to.

And is there a sticky somewhere that described the complete list of paper works that needs to be submitted in order to start the apps for Citizenship process? Perhaps if someone who is kind enough to answer this question, the admin can make this as a sticky note..? ;)

Anyway, please advise. Many thanks in advance for your help..
:D

The Dude

Ok. I''m answering some of my own questions but I'm still waiting for some of you to advise me on the rest if you don't mind?

Here is step by step guide to applying for citizenship from these sites:

http://www.nrilinks.com/immigration/citizenship/appl.htm
http://uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/n-400.htm

1. Read A Guide to Naturalization
http://uscis.gov/graphics/services/natz/guide.htm

2. Complete the Naturalization Eligibility Worksheet
The Eligibility Worksheet will help you decide if you are eligible to apply for naturalization. You do not need to send the completed worksheet to INS. This worksheet is only for you to decide if you should apply for naturalization.

3. Obtain an Application for Naturalization (Form N-400)
At your interview you will be required to answer questions about your application form.

4. Get two photographs taken
Include two color photographs with your application taken within 30 days of the date they are sent to INS. Don’t forget to print your name and "A"- number lightly in pencil on the back of each photograph. For more information on the photograph requirements refer to A Guide to Naturalization.

5. Collect the necessary documents to include with your application

6. Send your application, documents, and fee ($225.00) to the appropriate Service Center (Please verify with the INS for the correct mailing address)

New Fee: If your application is filed or postmarked on or after April 30, 2004, the required fee is $320.

If you live in Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, New Mexico, North Carolina, South Carolina, Oklahoma, Tennessee, or Texas, mail the petition to:

USINS Texas Service Center
P.O. Box 851204
Mesquite, TX 75185-1204

If you live in Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Puerto Rico, Rhode Island, Vermont, U.S. Virgin Islands, Virginia or West Virginia, mail the petition to:

USINS Vermont Service Center
75 Lower Welden Street
St. Albans, VT 05479-9400

If you live in Arizona, California, Guam, Hawaii, or Nevada, mail the petition to:

USINS California Service Center
P.O. Box 10400
Laguna Niguel, CA 92607-0400

If you live in Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington, Wisconsin or Wyoming, mail the petition to:

USINS Nebraska Service Center
P.O. Box 87400
Lincoln, NE 68501-7400

7. Getting Fingerprints
Once you have filed your application with INS, you will receive a letter from INS telling you where and when to have your fingerprints taken.

8. Being Interviewed
While the FBI is checking your background, INS will be locating your immigration file. Once everything is ready, INS will schedule you for an interview. You will receive a notice in the mail telling you when and where you must appear for an interview. To make sure you get your interview notice, you must notify INS every time your address changes. To report a change-of-address, naturalization applicants should call INS service center

9. After your interview, your application for citizenship will be granted, denied, or continued.

10. Taking the Oath
If INS approves your application for naturalization, you must attend a ceremony and take the Oath of Allegiance to the United States. INS will notify you by mail of the time and date of your ceremony. Once you have taken the Oath, you will receive your Certificate of Naturalization.

11. Obtaining a U.S. Passport
You can obtain a U.S. passport soon after your naturalization ceremony. A passport serves as evidence of citizenship and is easier to carry around than a Certificate of Naturalization. In addition if you lose your Certificate of Naturalization, it can take up to one year to receive a new one. You can often get an application for a passport at your oath ceremony or at most post offices.

PHP:
[QUOTE=thedude]Hi everyone.
Anyway, I'm trying to prepare paper works for my citizenship applications which I believe I may be eligible to apply sometime in Nov next year.  I got my GC approved and stamped in Feb 14, 2000
.[/COLOR]

If your GC is approved in Feb 2000 than you are eligible to apply this Nov. as you would complete 5 year on Feb 14 2005 and you can apply 90 days before 5 year anniversary.

and the fee would be 320 + 70 for fingerprint so total would be 390.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks..

Thanks for catching that kind_sd.

My bad, actually I got my GC in 2001 not 2000. So the question remain..

In one of the required docs it asked what's the total time I was outside of the country. Do I have to be very specific? I live in Seattle and I used to go back and forward on weekends to visit my then fiancee in Vancouver BC and I don't believe I ever logged the dates. Should I start working on this in details?

Also, which one is faster in processing the Citizenship apps? Nebraska or California? Anyone would like to comment?

Many thanks again..

The Dude

Dude(I mean *the* dude :) )
If I were you, I would start working on figuring out those travel dates to Canada. I know its difficult in your case...but try to go as close or try to be as honest as you can and that is the best that you can do. Once you figure all the trips than you can make the total number of days for the trips by adding all that. I would suggest to do that asap since you are still one year away for filing and now that you, somehow, figure out that you are close to violating the rule of 30 months physical presence (I really hope you are not but just to be on safe side...) than you can cut down on your future trips outside US.
Hope this helps....
-kind

One more thing.

Thanks Kind_SD. I will definitely do that. :)

Ok I have 2 more questions then:

Most of us who had visited Canada by land(driving), the border people (US and Canada) rarely, or at least at that time, never swipe the card, so in the way they don't really know whether I'm there or not. Should I includes all the dates when I was there or just the time when they swiped my GC? :confused:

Also, there may be a chance that I may have the option to move down to California area. The question is should I move since I heard that citizenship processing time for people living in California takes a lot longer than the one in Seattle (I think it's Nebraska processing center for state of WA). Like I said, I have the choice whether I want to move or not. I don't have to. :eek:

Please advise. Thanks gang..

The Dude

Last edited by a moderator:
you may have problems with this girl. She is Canadian and BCIS may ask her to prove she is Canadian by showing them her beaver. :eek: :eek: :eek:

California takes longer than Seattle because California has more illegal aliens living there.

--------------------------------------
A Great Nation chooses a Great Leader. Bush 51%. Kerry 48%.

Got it. The DO for California is in California right not Nebraska? Anyway, thanks for the advise everyone.. :)

Thanks JoeF. Fortunately or unfortunately like you said, not that many people or immigrant live in Fresno because no one want to including me.. :)

I'll either be in SF, San Jose or LA which like you said will take the longest. So I'm going to try to hold on the Seattle for now since from what I heard, the process is pretty fast. :D I hope..

Take care.

The Dude

Hapless! said:
From the processing dates it looks like SF and Seattle are just a couple of days apart for N-400

Two things Hapless does not know -------

(1) 2 months is not couple of days

(2) The Oath cermony schedule for SF and Seattle are not even remotely close.

Thanks everyone

Either way. Thanks Kind_SD, Hapless and Immg-Jck. Great information and it's very helpful.. :)

The Dude

Lets hope so JoeF. :) I'm sure Fresno is a fine place for some people but for whatever reason I just can't stand that place. :) But that's just me... :D

Southern California is full of illegal aliens. Middle California has illegal aliens workins as farm boys. California needs some thing similar to Prop. 200 which was approved in Arizona on November 2nd.