Citizenship Questions

cjohn

Registered Users (C)
I applied citizenship on April, 2003 and was asked to do the finger print on Oct., 2003. Took the written test on May, 2004. After 6 month long waiting for taking the oath, I got a letter from CIC, asking me to provide a lot of documents, such as income tax return/T4, all pages of passport, medical record...... I had a H1 visa stamped on May, 2003 ( three years after residence in Canada). My questions are: Why I was asked to provide these materials? Am I in trouble? Did anyone have the same situation before? If so, how was the result? If my citizenship application denied, does it affect my perminent residence in Canada? I was actually working in US all the time and have a friend taking care of my mails. I did have the income return filed in Canada each year (did not mention working in US). I have bills of telephone and bank statements. There is no record on my passport for the first three years. What is the risk if I am sending the documents I have right now? thanks.

I don't think you will encounter a problem. I think these are the documents we need to show for the Oath. Since you have completed 3 yrs of PR , you are totally entitled to get the citizenship.
PS: Please post your outcome after the oath. Also you have an H1B stamped in an Indian (guess you are Indian) passport. What will u do with that H1B visa?? Can you work in US with that H1B after getting CDN citizenship since India haven't yet recognized dual citizenship??

There are no docs that are required for the OATH except Passport.

Your Records have been asked by CIC as they have a doubt on your residency claim. Asking of these documents is not normal and your case would be forwarded to a citizenship judge from here. As per your post you have "LIED" on your citizenship application and you were not physically present in canada for the eligible time. Also since you have not disclosed your US job, I am sure you would not have paid your cdn taxes on your US income. Dude , You are in trouble. I have seen cases like yours before.

Lying on the citizenship application is a criminal offence and you could be sent to prison for this. If I was you, I would not continue this application.

Rest is on you and we all believe that everybody will take sane decisions and in case you get into trouble, Please ask all the guys/gurus/friends that gave you advise to lie on the citizenship application to help you out.

Last edited by a moderator:
cjohn said:
I did have the income return filed in Canada each year (did not mention working in US).

This alone is a criminal offense. Canadian residents must declare all worldwide income, especially from the US. The IRS and CCRA do talk to each other.

Brian

So in my opinion , You are looking forward for income tax evasion and lying to Immigration , both of which are criminal offences.

Please go ahead and send your papers to CIC and let us know how was the experience :)

citizenship question

Hi there,
I have a question to bhand, Have u seen any cases that a person lied about their 3 year residency requirement and got punsihment for it?
If it is yes can you describe the situation pls?

thanks
cool

Hello

cjohn said:
I applied citizenship on April, 2003 and was asked to do the finger print on Oct., 2003. Took the written test on May, 2004. After 6 month long waiting for taking the oath, I got a letter from CIC, asking me to provide a lot of documents, such as income tax return/T4, all pages of passport, medical record...... I had a H1 visa stamped on May, 2003 ( three years after residence in Canada). My questions are: Why I was asked to provide these materials? Am I in trouble? Did anyone have the same situation before? If so, how was the result? If my citizenship application denied, does it affect my perminent residence in Canada? I was actually working in US all the time and have a friend taking care of my mails. I did have the income return filed in Canada each year (did not mention working in US). I have bills of telephone and bank statements. There is no record on my passport for the first three years. What is the risk if I am sending the documents I have right now? thanks.

Hi cjohn, one of my friends recently got a similar query but i think he said something about having it resolved....have u done something about ur case yet ?
bye..

question

What document did they ask for you to bring to oath taking cermony to prove your case?