Citizenship question

naveed8504

Registered Users (C)
My freind asked me to post this..he is coming up with his 4.9 years in June, and is planning to apply for Citizenship. He got married..his fiance' is on B2 Visa, and they got two kids. She is on B2 visa, and will be here visiting next month.

What does he has to write for his ciizenship questions..if he is married or not?? Same thing in Interview questions..what he has to say...if they ask..if he is married..he is not legally married yet in US..just did in pakistan..and she is visiting..from every few months.

Is it better to get married legally first and then apply for citizenship? As he is under oath..u cant hide the facts..

After green card if there is a change in marital status..do u have to report to CIS??

some1 has lied somewhere....

...how did she get B1 ? Was she not asked whether she's married and where her spouse is ? never lie to the uscis..it all catches up....some day.

AFA, citizenship is concerned, this person shud tell the truth..no1 cares what's up with his wife during his citizenship interview.

as long as their marriage is legal and they have the doc to prove it..why worry? apply for citizenship...asap. Once that is done, this person can adjust his wife's status...(assuming she's still in the usa)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, are they married or not? If they are married, how can they be engaged?

You need to be both truthful and consistant when dealin with the USCIS. It sounds like your friend has painted himself into a corner.

Is it better to get married legally first and then apply for citizenship? As he is under oath..u cant hide the facts..

I don't see any reason to worry about marriage certificate unless the current marriage has no official proof. I would assume, when your friend got married, he got it certified somehow. If not, then he should do that.

In the N-400 application, it only asks whether your spouse if a US citizen or a US permanent resident. In your friend's case both of the questions would be 'NO'. No more information is required to be provided.

After green card if there is a change in marital status..do u have to report to CIS??

No, there is no such rule.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but if this guy got married in Pakistan, then his status is "married" here in the US too. Maybe someone could enlighten me why this might not be the case?

Also, you friend needs to remember that eligibility starts 90 days before the 5yr anniversary, not 3 months, so be careful with that "4.9yr" thinking.

Thanks for your response. B2 visa for wife was obtained before the marriage..they got married in pakistan..but didnt get the marriage registered here..and his wife was visiting US on visit visa...every four to six months. Kids dont have US citizenship..they are in pakistan.

Do they ask the questions in interview...if the wife is here in US? what's her status? if kids are here in US? there status?

Can this hurt the process.

Also, isnt it after 4 years 9 months, one is eligible to apply for citizenship? Do they wait for five yrs to be over..before they process the applications.

Normal eligibility for naturalization is 5 years after you get the Green Card. You can apply 90 days early.

No one is quite sure exactly how the USCIS calculates the 90 days, so the standing recommendation on this forum is to wait a week or so after that (particularly in the February, March & April timeframe (those three months have a total of only 89 days in them - except next year :) )).

you don't need a marriage to be registered in usa...

Thanks for your response. B2 visa for wife was obtained before the marriage..they got married in pakistan..but didnt get the marriage registered here..and his wife was visiting US on visit visa...every four to six months. Kids dont have US citizenship..they are in pakistan.

Do they ask the questions in interview...if the wife is here in US? what's her status? if kids are here in US? there status?

Can this hurt the process.

Also, isnt it after 4 years 9 months, one is eligible to apply for citizenship? Do they wait for five yrs to be over..before they process the applications.

..if you have married across the ocean somewhere else. As long as you have a cert to prove it(english doc) ..you should be fine. Yes, in the interview they do ask a few questions about spouse....very briefly...tell him not to sweat and tell the truth, if asked "is she currently in the usa" ? "what status" ? Tell him...temporarily visiting.....i hope that does not cause any harm. As long as he has not filed for his B2 wife's status change....the IO won't take a ride on his back.

PS: Getting married on any visa status or GC status is NOT A CRIME. Tell him to enjoy the marriage, as long as his spouse has not committed any crime....he is fine. :). Also, no USCIS cannot care less if he doe snot update them about his marriage, I hope he has filled out his IRS tax returns properly in the past with the correct "marital status".

Ahh...I think I know what's going on...

Has your friend married her and not registered the wedding in Pak ?

Has she entered her status "single" on her B2 visa form ?

Has he always filld taxes as "single" status here in the usa ?

IF yes, then he should mention "SINGLE" status on his n400.
No further questions will be asked to him.

:

However, once his citizenship is done....then he needs to register his marriage in the usa...for that...his wife has to visit him on B2 visa, get married and then he has to adjust her status. HOWEVER, that can arouse suspicion..and she can go out of status..cos B2 is not a dual intent visa. She might get a hard time at the GC interview (485) when asked...what her real intent was coming here on B2 visa.
JEEZ....I forgot about the kids !!! good luck. !!!