Citizenship Michigan

Edmundo69

I've been a resident for 5 years and want to become a citizen. I have children under the age of 18 all of us with green cards and have some questions:

1) Can I submit N400 & N600 for myself and my children at the same time or do I have to become a citizen first and then send N600's for my children?

2) My last name is made up of 2 last names. I only want to keep one and I see that option in the N400 form. I want to make sure my children only have one last name too but I don't see the option on the N600 form. What is the process to change the name for child under the age of 18? Is there a form a need to complete to make this change?

Thanks

I've been a resident for 5 years and want to become a citizen. I have children under the age of 18 all of us with green cards and have some questions:

1) Can I submit N400 & N600 for myself and my children at the same time or do I have to become a citizen first and then send N600's for my children?

2) My last name is made up of 2 last names. I only want to keep one and I see that option in the N400 form. I want to make sure my children only have one last name too but I don't see the option on the N600 form. What is the process to change the name for child under the age of 18? Is there a form a need to complete to make this change?

Thanks

1) No, you cannot. You must wait until you actually become a U.S. citizen before you may submit N-600 on behalf of your kids.

2) I am not completely sure about this, but I think that, unlike for naturalization applicants, USCIS does not offer a name change option to people applying for a certificate of citizenship (N-600). They can still change their name through the state court - call the local state circuit court and ask the clerk there what the procedure is for changing one's legal name.

When a father or single mother changes the family name during naturalization or in any court ordered name change petition, the changed surname passes to the minor child.

For the N-600, include a copy of your natz cert and your name change petition. The child's cert of citz will list original B/C name "also know as" changed name.