Citizenship interview yesterday, but no decision

n400_j

Registered Users (C)
Assault on Female - Citizenship interview yesterday, but no decision

I had my Citizenship interview yesterday. She told me she will mail me her decision within 6 months. I didn't ask why she is not approving my application today. I do suspect one reason.

I was charged with Assault on Female crime few years back which we were dismissed later. Court did put me on probation for 12 months and asked me to attend change program for 6 months. I did complete change program classes successfully within 6 months and then probation was reduce to 6 months and case was dismissed but the court. Later I did file for expunge to clear my record.

While applying for the Citizenship application I didn't attach all the case document. I only attached expunge approval notice from the court and did mentioned about the charges on the application from. I thought other document might not be required because case was dismissed and expunged.

She asked me for other court document that case is dismissed and I have successfully completed the change program. I did gave all the documents to her. After taking documents she said I will mail my decision in 6 months

few questions:

What are the chances of getting application approved.
Can I appeal if application get denied
what are the chances of getting approval in appeal process.
What if she call the court and change program office? She won't get any info about the case since it's expunged now. There won't be any record in the system?
Shall I write a letter to her saying "there won't be any record in the system if she tries to verify things" or wait for their decision for 6 months.?
What are the chances of getting Greencard renewal after N-400 denied?
Will they deport me?

Any suggestion or advice will be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
n400_j said:
I had my Citizenship interview yesterday. She told me she will mail me her decision within 6 months. I didn't ask why she is not approving my application today. I do suspect one reason.

I was charged with Assault on Female crime few years back which we were dismissed later. Court did put me on probation for 12 months and asked me to attend change program for 6 months. I did complete change program classes successfully within 6 months and then probation was reduce to 6 months and case was dismissed but the court. Later I did file for expunge to clear my record.

While applying for the Citizenship application I didn't attach all the case document. I only attached expunge approval notice from the court and did mentioned about the charges on the application from. I thought other document might not be required because case was dismissed and expunged.

She asked me for other court document that case is dismissed and I have successfully completed the change program. I did gave all the documents to her. After taking documents she said I will mail my decision in 6 months

few questions:

What are the chances of getting application approved.
Can I appeal if application get denied
what are the chances of getting approval in appeal process.
What if she call the court and change program office? She won't get any info about the case since it's expunged now. There won't be any record in the system?
Shall I write a letter to her saying "there won't be any record in the system if she tries to verify things" or wait for their decision for 6 months.?
What are the chances of getting Greencard renewal after N-400 denied?
Will they deport me?

Any suggestion or advice will be appreciated.
Take it easy dude. Don't try to split hair. You will be approved if you don't have any issues other than what you just mentioned above. You gave her all the relevant documents and she needs some time to look into them and satisfy herself that you are clean. Give her 4 to 6 weeks and see if you hear back or else try to take infopass to dig in for more info. I am confident you will be approved. It is just a matter of time. Just an advice - Forget about this N400 thing for a month or two and I am sure you will be pleasantly surprised to see the end result. Hey, I am being very pessimistic in my estimates. You may hear lot sooner than that. Have fun dude!

Well now adays they are taking time because of security reasons.. its been 3 months for me and I didnt get any reponse ... I am planning to avail InfoPass

yes, The charges were in Dec 2002. Received probation for 12 months in June 2003, complete change program in Dec. Voluntary dismissals by DA in Dec 2003 and expunged in June 2004. It was with my wife but she didn't call the police. It was some one from the street. Do you think letter from wife will help the case?

mpotturi said:
Take it easy dude. Don't try to split hair. You will be approved if you don't have any issues other than what you just mentioned above. You gave her all the relevant documents and she needs some time to look into them and satisfy herself that you are clean. Give her 4 to 6 weeks and see if you hear back or else try to take infopass to dig in for more info. I am confident you will be approved. It is just a matter of time. Just an advice - Forget about this N400 thing for a month or two and I am sure you will be pleasantly surprised to see the end result. Hey, I am being very pessimistic in my estimates. You may hear lot sooner than that. Have fun dude!

n400_j said:
yes, The charges were in Dec 2002. Received probation for 12 months in June 2003, complete change program in Dec. Voluntary dismissals by DA in Dec 2003 and expunged in June 2004. It was with my wife but she didn't call the police. It was some one from the street. Do you think letter from wife will help the case?
Whatever documents you furnished to her are good enough for her to make the decision. I would not volunteer any more information than what is asked for or required. I understand your reason behind wanting to turn in a letter from your wife. But it might look like you are trying to defend the case too much and may prompt her to dig deep in her investigation. Not that she is going to find anything that works against you but it may result in more delays. It is just my take on the situation. Use your gut feeling and take opinion of other close friends to decide if you want to send the letter from your wife or not. Just hang in there. You will be approved.

n400_j said:

it does not sound like to me you have provided to have good moral character within the past 5 yrs toward the date you submitted your n400 form.

Yes it happened 3 years back. If they denied my application will they deport me.

Any advice to avoid these situations.

ocworker said:
it does not sound like to me you have provided to have good moral character within the past 5 yrs toward the date you submitted your n400 form.

n400_j said:
Yes it happened 3 years back. If they denied my application will they deport me.

Any advice to avoid these situations.

i surely do not know if they would deny your case or not. may be a "shoplifting" might not case to deny the application; however, you assaulted to a female, and it sounds it is more serious to compare with a "shoplifting" case.

not sure what you asked for "avoid these situations"

what situations?

deport? or deny your application?

well, just my words from my heart, never hit / assault a woman!

by the way, did you apply your citizenship based on 5 yrs or 3 yrs marriage?

it was based on 5 year Green card

both situation, if they deny my application then can deport me as well

ocworker said:
i surely do not know if they would deny your case or not. may be a "shoplifting" might not case to deny the application; however, you assaulted to a female, and it sounds it is more serious to compare with a "shoplifting" case.

not sure what you asked for "avoid these situations"

what situations?

deport? or deny your application?

well, just my words from my heart, never hit / assault a woman!

by the way, did you apply your citizenship based on 5 yrs or 3 yrs marriage?

thanks everyone looking into my message. Will this help to suggest more. The charges were in Dec 2002. Received 12 months probation under the differed prosecution and Voluntary dismissals in June 2003. Asked me to join change program for 6 months and put me under supervised probation for 12 months. Completed change program in Dec. My Attorney talked to DA and Judge to do Voluntary dismissals on Dec 2003 then I had expunged my records in June 2004. What are the chances they won't deport me and approve my Citizenship application.

Also shall I hire a Attorney or wait until I get her decision.

Anyone know if JonnyCash around in this forums. I read other threads and looks like he has very good knowledge around this.

Thanks

Hmmmm , i would recommend few things ,
Since you missed the part about using a lawyer when you have a criminal thingy on your record ( even if it was expunged)
Try this link first , you'll have to do lots of reading http://uscis.gov/graphics/lawsregs/index.htm
If thats too much for you try the Catolic Charities , they have probono advice from lawyers or people that have lots of experices ( if i remember correctly even Jonnycash donates his time at a local church in NYC)http://www.catholiccharitiesusa.org/
You wont get deported ( just in case i might be wrong on uscis website it shows you deportable offences )
If you get denied you'll have a chance to appeal so do your home work
After reading a little it looks like Naturalization cases that had a criminal case would go under the supervisior review
Good luck my friend :cool:

In 2001 and 2002 I was arrested (detained in jail for 24 hours, that's a norm for any DV charge) and charged with 2 domestic violences 4th degree (a misdemeanor). I didn't receive probation. Both charges were dismissed in the court and sealed. I am not worried though. :cool:

Was your charge a felony? What was the degree of the assault?

You should not worry about the deportation. It won't happen to you. But your case may get complicated and delayed because you got probation. The worst case, I'd say, is that you wait a few more years and apply again.

The lesson I learn from my 2 arrests is that, as a man, never assault a woman, physically or verbally. Even you are offenced by a woman, do not fight back or yell back.

I was also arrested and detained in jail for 48 hours; charged with assault on female and communication threat. they were misdemeanor. How do I know the degree of charges. Is it some where on the arrest or court order.

app_citizen said:
In 2001 and 2002 I was arrested (detained in jail for 24 hours, that's a norm for any DV charge) and charged with 2 domestic violences 4th degree (a misdemeanor). I didn't receive probation. Both charges were dismissed in the court and sealed. I am not worried though. :cool:

Was your charge a felony? What was the degree of the assault?

You should not worry about the deportation. It won't happen to you. But your case may get complicated and delayed because you got probation. The worst case, I'd say, is that you wait a few more years and apply again.

The lesson I learn from my 2 arrests is that, as a man, never assault a woman, physically or verbally. Even you are offenced by a woman, do not fight back or yell back.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't able to find the degree of charges. It just says

Offense:
I Assault in a Female
I Communicating Threats

Offense code:
I 1389
I 5328

Offense in Violation of G.S
I 14-33 (C)(2)
I 14-277.1

app_citizen said:
you can find the degree of the charge on the court paper and desposition.