Citizenship interview ques

ikazmi

Registered Users (C)
I have my citizenship interview coming up in the last week of April.

I got my GC in 1997 (Family based). I came to US, got my GC and did my internship for 2 months.
When I got my GC I had completed my 1 year of MBA in India. I went to few universities for transfer credit but because we have 10+2+3 in India I did not qualify for transfer credit and I had to return to India to complete my Masters.

I came back to US after 11 months in June of 1998. In the year 1997 my father showed me as dependent on his taxes and also on the his health card.

From 1998 I am working and have never been out for more than 3 weeks.

When I left US my family was still living here and I had no intention to stay in India.

Please tell me if it is a good enough reason to convince the INS officer that I did not abandon my residence as well as continuous residency.

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

ikazmi

ikazmi,

I am not sure about your "residency" . You must consult a good immigration lawyer.

But I am sure about one thing about my interview experience:

One lady(applicant, she & me were waiting in same waiting room at INS office in interview date) had a problem with the "continuous residency".

INS officer told that lady to withdraw the application & she did.

That means she has to start over again the whole N-400 processing.

So you should consult the immigration lawyer.

ikazmi,
I am in exactly the same position as you--travelled abroad for more than six months but less than a year (twice!). My citizenship interview in coming up in July in Detroit, and I don't know if it will be approved due to these trips. Everything else in my application is fine, have been paying taxes etc.

If you have already had your interview, I would appreciate if you could share your experience. I guess I am interested in know what constitutes sufficient evidence to convince the BCIS that I did not abandon my residence during those trips.

Tintin22

Tintin22

I have my interview on the 30th pf this month and I will definetely let you know the outcome and the details.

Thanks.

ikazmi and Tintin22
I am in the same situation as you. Can you please let me know how your interviews went. Thanks

My interview is in July. ikazmi has already posted his/her interview experience. From ikazmi's experience, being out more than 6 months did not matter. However I have read elsewhere that some people have been denied if they were out for more than 6 but less than 12 months. So one really can't say if your application will be approved and it seems to depend on who interviews you and the specifics of your case.

There is obviously no harm in applying (save for the $300 or so fee), and I would suggest that you do and hope for the best.

Tintin22

Not JoeF, but my 2 cents

Living outside of US for more than 50% (6 months) of the time in a year, is considered by BCIS as - no intention of living is US.

guys, let me understand...

Now how does this continous residence matchup with the
4 yrs + 1 yr rule ?

if u break the CR requirement and then stay put for the next 4 years, how does it play out? PD,JoeF....

If you go out of the country fir extended period of time, you need to take re-entry permit. Your 4 yr and 1 day starts the day you re-enter US.

So if one has

1) a reentry
2) a valid reason to leave us and proof of no abandonment
3) apply n400 after 4 yrs + 1 day

has he/she lost CR or not?

If you have a re-enty permit you are covered for the time you were away as mentioned on your reentry permit application. You don't need any other proof to support this, that is the reason you take re-entry permit.

Yes u are considered CR after 4yr and 1 month of stay after re-entry. (assuming that you were not away again for more than six months during any of your "visits")

JoeF,

But whats your opinion on the loss or preservation of Continious Residency..... 1 year out with Reenty,file $0 tax return for that year, apply 4 yrs after entering (after the long trip)