Citizenship Interview At Atlanta - My Experience

d sm

Registered Users (C)
Hi All

I have been following this message board for some time now. I interviewed[citizenship] in Atlanta today. This was my experience.

I arrived 20 mts ahead of time. I was taken to the interview hall. An officer registered every one. We waited in the same room, until the examiner called us by name. There were multiple examiners.

I was taken to the examiner\'s room. He was very pleasant and cordial. He adminstered my oath to tell the truth. Then I signed my name on a paper containing 10 -15 civic questions. He asked me about 5-6 of those. Like

1. Who will be the president if both president and vice president dies
2. Father of the nation
3. Who is Martin Luther King Jr
4. Who can declare war etc...

Then asked me to write - "My parents came to USA from India".

And asked me to read one of the questions from the paper loud.Then I had to sign the paper. And said you did well, congratulations you passed your test.

He then checked my papers and asked me all the questions from page 2 of the N400 application form and I had to verbally answer it. He then asked me to sign my name in the required area.

He DID NOT ask for the selective services letter or any other papers which others were mentioning in this message board.I had gone prepared with a big file with certified copies of all possible papers. I guess it helps to go over prepared than under prepared. He did ask me if I had the tax returns, and I said yes, but he did not ask to see it.

When I asked him, when should I expect the oath ceremony, he said it has been 1-2 months since "same day" oath was last adminstered. This is because of new laws and there will another check [ I presume the IRBS check - the new law] before they send the oath letter. He said I will hear from the INS in 4 - 6 weeks giving me a date for the oath ceremony.

It took all of about 10 mts max for the interview process. I was in the line waiting at 7.40 a.m. Went in at 8.05 a.m. Interview started more or less immediately and was out by 8.20 a.m.

Hope this helps for every one. I also thank the others who posted their experiences, which in turn helped me.

I do hope I get my oath ceremony date soon.. :).

Good Luck to me and to all.

Feed back dsm

Congratulations, dsm. I have a question about the foreign trip. Can you leave US for the foreign countries before the oath ceremony. As I was told our alien card will be surrendered after the interview. If so, we have no valid travel document.
Thanks.

New Orleans waiting times for the oath after the Interview

I\'am also in the same dilemma. I passed the citizenship exam on 02/28/2002 in New orleans louisiana. They asked my divorce papers and the new marriage certificates which I personally handed to them on 03/14/2002. It is been 104 days since I passed the exam and I still need to visit India to meet/see my wife. But I\'am scared IF in my absence I get the oath letter and I miss it, my oath ceremony could get postponed further. NO they DO NOT take the greencard and the Indian passport at the point of passing the citizenship exam . we need to surrender the greencard and the Indian passport at the oath ceremony and they give us the certificate of citizenship with which we can apply for the US PASSPORT.

Does anyone know??

I had my interview on 14May at Atlanta offic.. and still waiting for oath letter..
I have no idea when I expect to get the letter..

Does anyone have any idea??? or is anyone in same boat with me(Atlanta office)??

Hi gt and sm

sm - IRBS or what ever is border patrol and customs etc computer check to see if you have any records or arrests.

gt - From past experience and from what was told to me, you can expect your oath notification any time now..ie 4-6 weeks after your interview.

Please do let us know on this boardas to when it is going to be.

FYI- afriend of mine who had the interview a week before me was told she should expect the oath in 6-8 months, but that is because she lives in Mobile AL, and mobile has a twise a year oath ceremony in Mobile itself. So I guess his statement about a 6-8 month wait may be correct.

In any case I hope it is the 3-8 week wait that ws told tome rather than 6-8 month wait that was told to my friend.

Keep us posted any way.

Thanks.

Remember last week when John Kerry wanted to be the second black president since Clinton was considered the first black president. A civil rights leader has come forward and asked him to apologize. He says Kerry is a white man born to privilege and says he has no idea what the black experience is like. Today Kerry said, 'Yo chill out brother, why you dissin' me like that?

- Jay Leno