Citizenship for Children

Sky_Drow

Registered Users (C)
Friends,

Myself, my wife and our children have green card currently. When we apply and once our citizenship approves, I believe children under 18 also get citizenship at the same time. or parents gets the citizenship first then apply for children afterwards ?

I believe, children can also apply at the same time with parents as they also complete 5 years of LPR residency requirement.

knowledge sharing is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apply for self and wife only. Children below 18 will derive citizenship automatically as soon as parent(s) take oath.

Apply for the US passport for the children along with yours after the oath. That will be a solid proof of citizenship for the children.

Althernatively apply for N-600 after your citizenship..but personally ...I feel that is a waste of time and money ... passport is a faster and easier way.

nanup said:
Apply for self and wife only. Children below 18 will derive citizenship automatically as soon as parent(s) take oath.

Apply for the US passport for the children along with yours after the oath. That will be a solid proof of citizenship for the children.

Althernatively apply for N-600 after your citizenship..but personally ...I feel that is a waste of time and money ... passport is a faster and easier way.
I did exactly that. After I got my citizenship certificate, I applied for passports for my children (both under 18 years) along with my passport and all of us got our passports together. Children derive the citizenship from the parent(s) automatically.

I understand that I can get a passport for my kids or fill out the N600 to get them a certificate.....My question is .... What happens to their green cards? Where do I turn them in? What have others done with their childrens green cards once they derive citizenship through their naturalized parents?

DR_Z

what ducuments did you have to submit

mpotturi said:
I did exactly that. After I got my citizenship certificate, I applied for passports for my children (both under 18 years) along with my passport and all of us got our passports together. Children derive the citizenship from the parent(s) automatically.
Can you let me know what all documents did you have to submit foir your childrens passport. We are in the same boat Both me and my wife became citizens and have a US passport and have a daughter who is a minor. Thanks for the help

My wife is taking oath on 7/21. I am stuck in secutity check. my child is under 14.
Can my wife apply for the child when she will apply for her passport??

How about the name change for change in this case?

I have the same situation. But how about the name change for children? N600 form does not have a section for name change. Standard name change process has to go through state court and takes many months. Anyone can advise me the children's name change during naturalization?

sehaider said:
My wife is taking oath on 7/21. I am stuck in secutity check. my child is under 14.
Can my wife apply for the child when she will apply for her passport??
Yes she can.

I understand that I can get a passport for my kids or fill out the N600 to get them a certificate.....My question is .... What happens to their green cards? Where do I turn them in? What have others done with their childrens green cards once they derive citizenship through their naturalized parents?

DR_Z

I have the same question as dr_z? What do we do with the Child's GC?

Well, you need to have it when they apply for their first passport and if you submit an N-600.

I'm assuming they will take it away when they finally get around to scheduling my daughter's N-600 interview. Otherwise, I'm guessing it will end up in a scrapbook.

My daughter's GC expired very near the end of our N-400, so we renewed it. In the process, they affixed an extension sticker (full of holograms) on her old GC (the day before she became a citizen!). So, for about 3 or 4 months last year, she had two valid GCs and a US Passport. Go figure.

Our N-600 application has it's 9 month birthday today. They will have to process it soon (I hope). I'll post my experiences.