citizenship eligibility

mohitlp

Registered Users (C)
My daughter is eligible to apply for citizenship only after 18. Currently she is 17 yrs 10 months. She is eligible in sept,05. Currently she has gone on vacation to India for 40 days and will be back on august 15th. My question is - is she eligible to apply for citizenship in sept,05. What is this 3 month time in district / state stay before applying.. Can someone guide me.
Thanks, mlp

If either of her parents became Naturalized US citizen before she turned 18, she already has US citizenship. Does this not apply to her?

Parents have applied in June for citizenship but daughter was not eligible bcos of less than 18..

She can apply after she turns 18 as long as she has met 5 yr residency as PR and 30 months physical presence test. 3 months residency requirement in a district means that she has been living in that district's area. The purpose is that USCIS wants to make sure the person has ties in the local area. If she has attended high school in the area and has lived with her parents, it will be fine. For adults, it means having a drivers license, rental agreement/home ownership, utilities billing, banking, etc. Temporary visits abroad or to any other locations do not count against the 3 mos residency requirement in a district.

I guess, USCIS wants to deter people from applying thru' districts that have faster processing times.