Citizenship before approval of I- 751

sunnybunny

Registered Users (C)
I have applied for citizenship after 3yrs of marriage to a citizen but I am still waiting for my I- 751 petition to be approved.

Can I get a Citizenship before approval of I- 751?

I am assuming that you got a letter from INS, automatically extending your "conditional" status pending processing of the I-751.

You can apply 90 days priror to completion of 3 years for the USC even if the 751 condiitonality has not been removed by then. I believe that the 3 year residency requirement has certain caveats about your spouse being a USC for X amount of years. You may want to read up on that on a INS web site.

Good Luck

Here is the info:

In order to be eligible to file after 3 years, based upon being married to a U.S. citizen, the following requirements must be met:
1. The USC spouse must be a USC for 3 years;
2. The parties must have been married at least 3 years;
3. The parties must be "living in marital union" (not separated etc.) at the time of filing and for 3 years immediately preceding the filing.
4. The parties must still be married at the time of naturalization.
It is not necessary that the applicant obtained his/her GC through the spouse.

thanks for the response

I have got my finger printing letter but my I-751 interview was not good and INS have said that they will call me again and I am waiting for it. But if i get my Citizenship interview before approval of I-751, do u think it's possible?

What do you mean not good? Did you submit all the documents as required and did you and your spouse go to the interview together?

Have they asked you for clarification?

You can still file for USC. If you anticipate any problems, obviously you need to address them firs and then file. I am not privy to the entire situation, so it is not possible for me to comment on facts that are unknown to me.

thanks again

We are separatred now after 4yrs of marriage, She did come for the interview, but was late and bit confused. For this reason she was not able to answer couple of questions correctly. So they have ask us to come agin for the interview but at the next avilable date. we were interviewed in April and they said it will be in June but have not called yet.
My status is still valid till 2003 but I hope things to get resolve before that.

That might become a problem as you will have to prove that this marriage was entered in good faith. I would seriously advise you to contact an attorney. there are serious implications.

PS I am not an attorney, so please do not misunderstand my previous statement.