Citizenship and wife outside the country

kumar_98

Registered Users (C)
I have applied for my citizenship and my wife/son had to leave the country as her visa was expiring. I was planning to apply for i-130 as soon as i get my citizenship. Would there be any question during interview while they review n-400, when i say that she is outside US? is it safe to apply i-130 and keep the receipt?

Don't file the I-130 before you get citizenship. If you file it before, you will have the hassle and delay of getting the petition upgraded later based on your new citizenship status.

There is nothing wrong with having them outside the US. That's actually better than having them inside the US illegally. If they don't have a GC or other legal status, they're supposed to be outside the US. The interviewer won't hassle you about that.

Don't file the I-130 before you get citizenship. If you file it before, you will have the hassle and delay of getting the petition upgraded later based on your new citizenship status.

There is nothing wrong with having them outside the US. That's actually better than having them inside the US illegally. If they don't have a GC or other legal status, they're supposed to be outside the US. The interviewer won't hassle you about that.

Thanks for the response. I had read somewhere in the m-476 Instructions about showing proof for financial support if my wife is not with me. Do i need any of those? If so what exactly would i need?

The interviewer won't hassle you about that.

The issue is that the applicant will write a different far away address for
his wife and son and some IOs need to ask if the seperation is temperoray
or not and child support is provided or not.

This is the list from M-476, If you have a dependent spouse or children who do not live with you, send:

Cancelled checks,
• Money and receipts,
• A court or agency printout of child support payments,
• Evidence of wage garnishments,
• A letter from the parent or guardian who cares for your children.

Actually at the time of N-400, she was here in US and she just left last week. so the address on n-400 was same..And I will have to correct it during the interview only.. will they ask me to update the address on the account?

If I get a letter from her, would it be sufficient. what should the letter say? Should i have the letter certified in india?

We have a joint account and she can withdraw money any time (though she may not need it, since she is staying with my parents). Does showing the joint account help?