Citizenship and Selective service

Pungiwalla

Registered Users (C)
If you did not register with the Selective Service and you (1) are male, (2) are 26 years old or older, and (3) lived in the United States in a status other than as a lawful nonimmigrant between the ages of 18 and 26, send:
A "Status Information Letter" from the Selective Service (Call 1-847-688-8888) for more information.

While applying for naturalization (n-400) and if you have lived in United States on B1, H1/L1 visas and Green Card, do you have to get a status information letter from selective service and submit it?

If you did not register with the Selective Service and you (1) are male, (2) are 26 years old or older, and (3) lived in the United States in a status other than as a lawful nonimmigrant between the ages of 18 and 26, send:
A "Status Information Letter" from the Selective Service (Call 1-847-688-8888) for more information.

While applying for naturalization (n-400) and if you have lived in United States on B1, H1/L1 visas and Green Card, do you have to get a status information letter from selective service and submit it?

It has been discussed several times on this forum. Do you know what difference between non-immigrant and immigrant status is?

Implied:
Only if you are US permanent resident or illegal aliens or US citizens and between 18 and 26, you are required to register SS so permanent residents or illegal aliens will have to get a status information letter from SS for interview.

If you are on H1/L1/B1 (these status are non-immigrant status) and between 18 and 26, you are not required to register SS and USCIS have records on your visa status (Bring all visa status to your interview to prove that you were not required to register). You may get a letter from SS, but SS might not find any status.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, I have been on the US green card for last five years. Does that mean I should have registered with selective service? I did not register with selective service, that means I need to obtain status information letter. Is that correct? How long it takes to receive a letter?

Were you 26 or older when you got your green card? Are you over 31 now? If yes for any of those two questions, don't worry about the Selective Service.

Jacko. You might have a valid point there about 31 years of age and selective service. How come these lawyers and so-called immigration experts don't tell you that it doesn't matter much for citizenship if you didnt register and now over 31? Has this been your experience or someone know?