Citizenship after 15 years of PR?

bashar82

Registered Users (C)
I have an uncle (father's brother in law) who's been a green card holder for 15 years. He hardly lived in the US. He mentioned that he qualifies for citizenship since he's been a green card holder for 15 years and that the residency rules do not apply to him. That didn't sound right to me. Does anyone have any info?

The residency rules apply to nearly everybody. As far as I know, the only exceptions are the military (reduced requirement) and some people who marry USCs posted overseas on official assignments for >1 yr.

A more interesting question is whether this uncle of yours still has a valid GC, or whether his extended absences will cause it to be revoked at some point when he tries to enter the country.

Any idea why he thinks he is special?

My view is biased, but yeah he and his immediate family think they're all VERY special. Anyways, that's a different story.
He doesn't have an official assignment. He just never lived in the States. Maybe a six month visit to the States every year. I would laugh my head off if they take his GC away.
It's my understanding that if you're a PR and have LIVED in America for 15 (maybe it's twenty) yeas and over a certain age, you're exempt from the tests but still need to meet eligibility.

Your understanding is indeed correct - applicants above a certain age, with sufficient time as an LPR are exempt from the english and potentially also the civics test. They must of course still meet all other eligibility criteria such as continuous residency, physical presence etc, etc.

The USCIS M-476 Guide to Naturalization spells it all out in detail.