Citizen certificate and seal?

NoInterviewDate

Registered Users (C)
Hey does anyone know about this? I just received my certificate a couple of days ago and went to get a passport. They would not send the paperwork off because my certificate does not have a 'seal' on it. She showed me someone else's certificate that clearly had a raised seal on it?

Now I have to make an Infopass appointment to find out what's going on. This is very frustrating. No one said anything about our certificates having a seal when they told us to check them for spelling errors etc, and others have told me they went straight from the ceremony to the passport office and had no trouble, and their certs do not have seals?

OK, anyone recently naturalized. Does your cert have a seal?

See my post about not being able to get a passport. All I want to know is, does everyone who is now being naturalized have a seal of some kind on their certificate where your picture is?

Thanks guys.

I just took a look and I did not even notice it before. Yes there is a raised seal on photo but not on the certificate. The seal is not contained inside the picture but intersect with the picture in terms of venn diagram. The rest of the seal is not on the certificate but missing. So the sealmust be printed on teh photo before he photo is placed onto the certificate.

I just took a look and I did not even notice it before. Yes there is a raised seal on photo but not on the certificate. The seal is not contained inside the picture but intersect with the picture in terms of venn diagram. The rest of the seal is not on the certificate but missing. So the sealmust be printed on teh photo before he photo is placed onto the certificate.

Anyone goting to teh oath will have onre more thing to check. I just don't remmeber the court clerk remind everyone to check out if the seal is there
but only correctness of name, gender etc

Thanks for answering WBH. Dammit. Mine definitely does not have it, and how you described yours is exactly the same as the one the woman at the passport office showed me mine should be like! That makes me wonder if the USCIS has the other half of the seal on their copy of the certificate or something? No one has even seen this seal before now and I certainly had no clue it was meant to be there.

I wonder if this is something they can fix over the counter at the USCIS. This might turn into a nightmare.

I have an Infopass appointment on Monday. I thought I had done with those! So much for going back to visit family.

They would not send the paperwork off because my certificate does not have a 'seal' on it.

Hi NID,

I didn't notice on mine but the Post Office clerk took it all and it is now in the works and I cannot help you by looking for a Seal.

I was a little horrified when she stapled the application forms and spare pic to the edge of the Certificate but she was careful to do it in the border so I guess I can live with that. :(

I hope mine had the embossed seal otherwise I guess it will be coming back. I feel sorry for you man, but we are all humans and humans sometimes make mistakes. I will check my photocopy and see if I can see anything on it.

You got me nervous now.

Well at least I have something else to worry about now. :D :D

This is bugging me. I am hearing different opinions. Someone else told me their cert has no seal or anything on it. They were natzed in April. So maybe somethings changed.:eek:

Someone else said go to a differnent PO. But this was the main post office and the one that does passports so I don't want to go to another only to be told the same. The woman seemed to know what she was talking about, plus she showed me that other cert with the seal on it.:confused:

Hmmm, I can't find anything that says this is a new requirement either.
Just my luck. My whole process has been one issue after another. And I was at the ceremony with someone who applied June 1st 2009 and were already having their oath. THAT is fast!:D

Don't know if they have a seal on their certificate either though.

You won't be able to see it on a photocopy

:D I also photographed it and there is no sign of an imprint anywhere.

NID, it seems like you are not alone! :)

I wonder if they will send my application back.

Hang in there dude, no sense in getting your self upset or excited. It is out of our hands. I suggest you do try another PO as it will be quicker and easier if they accept it. Either that or wait until I get my passport or the rejected application. Stay tuned. be happy that you are a US Citizen. The passport stuff is a minor issue now.

Last edited by a moderator:
:D I also photographed it and there is no sign of an imprint anywhere.

Even if you have the original in ftont of you, you won't see it
unless you know there is a raised seal and intentionall see very hard.
So don't worry about it

Even if you have the original in ftont of you, you won't see it
unless you know there is a raised seal and intentionall see very hard.
So don't worry about it

You may be correct WBH, but I use graphics software a lot and I have taken a VERY close look using many filters and I can see nothing. The camera does not lie. :)

There is what appears to be a 2D barcode stripe along the top of the pic though. Maybe that's all they are doing now.

Seeing as I have already set up the infopass appointment I will go along to that and see what they say.
It will be interesting to see if your application for the passport is processed seeing as your's too doesn't have this seal thing!

Seal or not to seal, that is the question!?
Oh and WW2G....mine is 366 days, and still waiting!!!
I did go to the s/s office to update my status and they never said anything about a missing seal, so it's just the passport that is a problem!
Hmmm, maybe I SHOULD go to another passport office.:rolleyes:

If you goto another passport office AND get your passport processed successfully, that will be news. I just checked mine and there is raised seal. Its like the one they use at Notary.

Raised seal is commonly used to mark a document authentic. Documents may still be doctored along with seal but hey, nothing is perfect.

Long run, you are better of getting it fixed or let DO tell you its ok. But nothing wrong in trying your luck at different postoffice. You may not get your $25 execution fee back if National Passport Service center sends it back due to the issue.

I just took a look at my brother's certificate and it did have a raised seal, half on the photo and remaining half on the certificate below the photo.

maybe I SHOULD go to another passport office.

Not sure what to suggest. The SSA accepted it fro the change of status to USC, but they may not have looked. You could try another Post Office or wait until I get some information back on mine, either rejection or the passport. :D

Personally I would try a different PO and just wing it. I will report back to the forum as soon as I get information on my case.

Why not apply for proof of citizenship so you get sent a Certificate of citizenship isntead of going through hardles with infopass. Then you can have an official one to use. It might even be quicker I guess. Since you have a naturization certificate number already.

Hey nelsonyiga, how do I do that? And where? I have not heard of applying for 'proof of citizenship'?
My appointment is already booked for this morning at infopass, so I may as well go. But I am not hopeful about what they will do!

Why not apply for proof of citizenship so you get sent a Certificate of citizenship isntead of going through hardles with infopass. Then you can have an official one to use. It might even be quicker I guess. Since you have a naturization certificate number already.
Doesnt certificate of citizenship cost money (more than Nat fees) and take about 6 months or so ? Why spend money for something (the missing seal) that USCIS messed up ?

I thought Certificate of citizenship is not for naturalized citizens but for children who gain citizenship thru their naturalized parents

Yes, certificate of naturalization is for naturalized citizens. I guess there was some confusion there. I assume the Infopass appointment will get the problem solved. Reading back on other posts it seems that the OP went to a special oath ceremony. Perhaps the special part was to produce the certificate incompletely without the embossing ;)