citations

puma2012NIW

Registered Users (C)
My foreign 10 papers only have 7 citations. I had better not submit these citations to USCIS. Is it a good idea?

thanks

Puma

I have a similar issue. I guess there are two ways to deal with it.

1. Not to mention the citations and focus on some other strength such as good reference letters, awards, invited talks ...

2. Mention them, and explain the reasons of low citations (recent publications ...). Give stress on those who cited your work.

What do you think?

X.

puma2012NIW said:
My foreign 10 papers only have 7 citations. I had better not submit these citations to USCIS. Is it a good idea?

thanks

another factor which u shd consider is time
you can explain that your papers are recent (if they are) and explain the process of getting citations...................if they are not it will cast negative effect!!!

For the citations, I have about one third from "non-independent" papers, meaning from my co-authors's other papers? Should I include them in the citation list?

There is no harm. However, the content of the "independent" reference letters becomes very critical in this case (i.e., USCIS may not be able to establish your reputation in the filed through the citations alone).

Thanks, 2006gc.

One more question about citations, should I state in the cover letter how many citations are independent? I have about 12 independent citations, not very significant (I received Ph.D. one and half years ago), should I state in the cover letter the nature and procedure of citations like "a journal paper takes long time in review before it is officially published"? This is true, recently I do see citations of my papers appear faster than before. Should I specifically say this or just let the immigration officer to judge? Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
You do not have to specifically state how many independent citations in your cover letter. It is sufficient to say, how many citations are there for your articles. You can then add a sentence stating the number of citations is increasing rapidly as these papers were only published about a year or two ago. Also low citation by itself is not a bad thing. Suppose you were to solve a long-standing research problem, then you are still making a significant contribution to your field but your paper may not get cited too often nowadays (as you already provided solution to that problem). These can be included in a reference letter etc.

I never had any citations and got EB-2 NIW from VSC without RFE in 3 months. I never mentioned about citations in my petition letter. I think it is better not to mention it. If they ask, then use the above mentioned reasons to cover it.
Good luck

Just curious, how many citations are considered good in NIW? I just found from Google Scholar I have about 30 citations, most are from independent researchers

Is citation a more important factor for EB1 or it matters for NIW as well? Also if 30 is a good number for NIW, then what is good number for EB1A.

startrek2005 said:
I never had any citations and got EB-2 NIW from VSC without RFE in 3 months. I never mentioned about citations in my petition letter. I think it is better not to mention it. If they ask, then use the above mentioned reasons to cover it.
Good luck

Hi,

Can you please post your credentials?

Thank you.