Ciitizenship Process in Newark District Office - Timeline and Interview Experience

sri75

Registered Users (C)
Highlights of my Ciitizenship process in Newark District Office.

Took 10 1/2 months for the whole process.

8 - month wait for the Finger Printing (computerized).

Once Finger Printing is done, its a very fast process (took 2 1/2 months to get the certificate after FP).

Interview and Oath Cermony on the same day in Newark.

Newark is one of the two District Offices in the country, where the
Oath ceremony is performed the same day as the Interview.

Oath ceremony is performed 2 times a day. One in the morning session (between 11 AM and 12 PM) and the other in the afternoon.

After the interview is successfully done, you have to wait in the same waiting area. They will call you again to take your signature on the Naturalization certificate and will ask you to go to another room where the oath is performed.

So even if your interview is at 8 AM , you have to wait till 11 AM for the oath.

Interview Day

My interview was scheduled at 9.06 AM. I went there at about 8.15 AM. Around 9.10 AM, Officer took me to his cube and immediately took an oath from me that I am telling the truth and will abide by US Laws.... He then went through the application and made any address or employment changes, basically any information that has been changed since I applied. He then
stopped at my "Trips to Outside US", and said there might be a problem there because one of my trips was for more than a year. I immediately told him that I have applied on the basis of 4 year and 1 Day rule and not the straight 5-year rule. He then calculated the dates and said that there is no problem then. He then asked me around 6 questions (all from the standard 100 questions), told me to write a sentence and then took the signatures on forms and photographs.He said he is going to keep my greencard and Re-entry permit. He then gave me the letter indicating that I passed and asked me to be present in the waiting area at 10.30 AM.I was out of the building by 11.30 AM with my Naturalization Certificate.

Good Luck Everyone

Sri

It is clearly explained on pages 22 and 23 in the Naturalization Guide.......
The document “A Guide to Naturalization” published by INS states on page 23 “If you return within 2 years, some of your time out of the country does count. In fact, the last 364 days of your time out of the country (1 year minus 1 day) counts toward meeting your continuous residence requirement”.
Also according to the “Continuous Residence” example on page 23 of the document “A Guide to Naturalization”, a person will be eligible for naturalization 4 years and 1 day after he has returned to the United States with a Re-Entry Permit. (Incase the stay lasts longer than 1 Year)

Sri.