CIBA PLEASE UPDATE - MY CASE APPROVED (Maja) !!!

Maja

Registered Users (C)
O happy day...I thought it\'ll never come. I probably have one of the oldest PD\'s on this board - 12.96! Everything went wrong, LC took almost 3 years, I-140 another year, I485 we got RFE for amended I-140.
I heard magic words last night (gee this feels like getting an Oscar and giving a speech :)))
Anyway, let me give you the details:
PD Dec. \'96
I-458 Oct. 2000
RFE April 2001, replied on July 2nd
RFE Message updated august 27th
Approval on September 6th

And since they did approve in such a timely manner I ALMOST forgive INS for 5 years of agony, uncertainty and fear.
Thank you all for help. for encouraging words and thank you Ciba for your tremendous work , I admire what you do and if I knew where you are I’d take you for a happy hour tonight ;))
God bless you and all of you that are still waiting. Your day will come too, and we\'ll all share your happiness on this board.
Time to celebrate :)))

Congratulations, Maja

You deserve the freedom, (obtained at last). Thanks to INS.

Good luck

SRS

Congratulations and a question.

Maja: Congratulations on your approval. Enjoy your Oscar! By the way, what was the reason for the RFE and how did CSC find you had some change? It will be appreciated if you can share the information.

No Title

Well, our stupid attorney asked us to enclose last 3 months of pay stubss and last 3 W2\'s, so the company name was different on the pay stub (after merger) from the name on I-140 and W2\'s. I guess that is how they figured out. The merger took place after I-140 got approved, but before I485 was filed. I kept asking if we need to redo I-140 and was told that we don\'t. After we got RFE, it was to late - second company declared chapter 11. We fired the useless attorney and gave our case to Ron Gotcher. Since first company that filed I-140 went independent again, under the same name (and that is our good luck) Ron suggested that they just write a letter to INS explaining the whole thing, which fortunatelly worked out great.
Hope this explains the entire ordeal. Good luck to you all :)

Thanks! Maja.

That\'s a good story. Isn\'t it true that an incompetent attorney knows even less than us sometimes on some issues? We encounter things like that all the time. Your explanation is very good. And I believe your W2\'s were the reason for RFE. Thanks! However, recently, one of my friends received a RFE for his spouse\'s employment history, and his spouse is beneficiary instead of principal applicant! That makes people wonder how the INS decide whether to send RFE to whom. Do they have to send out RFE to reach a percentage? Anyway, I feel after we each finish our process, we will all become the export in analyzing how INS works or maybe how it does not work. Some of us should be able to start our own immigration service firm.

No Title

Congrats Maja. You have gone thru a painful process. Why can\'t they give GC once you stay in US for certain period of time.

Most of the people who come to US are not going back. People who really want to go back will do that even after they get GC.

5 years. It is approx 6.25% of our life and that too prime time. I sometimes feel that why this damn country(no hard feelings) is so rich if not we would have been in our country itself.

No Title

Henry, should you decide to start your own immigration service, let me know and I\'ll volunteer for free :)
When we decided to transfer our case to Ron Gotcher, I called him for advice( funny enough - I never met him in person) and he spent an hour talking to me on the phone - I wasn\'t even his client yet. So, yes, thank God, they are not all the same. I did find the whole GC experience worse than I could ever imagine, and that is thanks to INS and immigration attorneys together. I have to add this too - I went through immigration process in South Africa and everything was done in less then 5 months - go figure...

No Title

Thanks - your statistic look scary :).
Anyone knows when is Ciba going to be back, and also - how long does it take to get approval letter fro INS?

I agree.

Maja: You certainly have gone through a lot. I agree with you on that they are different. Another fact is that the most expensive ones may not always be the best ones. I actually got more useful, timely and accurate legal advices from my friends\' attorney than from my own. And mine is not cheap by any standards. Anyway, enjoy your freedom. I will let you know when I need a volunteer. :)

Amended I-140 question

Maja,
Could you please tell us more about your Amended I-140? I received an RFE for company name change on Feb 2001. My lawyer replied on 04/13/01. ND was on 04/16/01. Amended I140 was accepted on Aug 16th 2001. My I485 is still pending. It is really frustrating since I have no idea on how INS officers work. How the INS agent handling my I485 will findout that Amended I140 has been accepted. I recently called INS. They simply said that my case is still pending. They did not even know, from their computer screen, that my Amended I140 was accepted.

No Title

Dino,

I don\'t know how it works when you apply for RFE by doing amended I40 - we never did that. We just sent a letter saying that amended I-140 is not needed since the company changed it\'s name back to the old one that was on I140. But in your case, and from what I have seen on this board, I guess the I485 approval should be very soon after I140 approval - some people got it within a week or so. So hang in there - it\'ll happen soon. Don\'t worry about what they told you when you call INS, most of those people will give you any answer just to get rid of you. I have seen people getting useless answers from Immigration Officers very often - one of the reasons I never called.
Good luck to you, hope you\'ll hear good news soon.