ciba - New Passport

ak007

Registered Users (C)
I renewed my INDIA passport last month and got a new passport (and of course new PP number) from them. Now that my 485 is approved and will get GC stamp within few weeks - I would like to get GC stamp in my new passport (as opposed to the old passport). I am sure its possible - but just wanted to check with folks out there who have done this.

Thanks,
ak007

No Title

I did.
In fact embassy tied my twopasports together.
INS officer stamped in the new one.
Old one is cancelled by embassy and I cannot use it except for history.

No Title

PVSSKR and AK007 ,
Guys i want to know what is difference between passport renewal and getting new passport ( with new PP number ).my passport expires Feb 2002 and I have blank pages left...so when i renew my passport at san fran consulate will i get a new passport and what is the procedure to renew passport? did u fedex or go persnally? I live in LA

No Title

Any Indian passport is valid only for 10 years.

After 10 years, the renewal = a new passport (basically they issue a new pasport as renewal after cancelling the old one - they will put a rubber band and tie them together, you have to carry them together).

It does not matter even if you have plenty of empty pages in your 10 year old passport. After 10 years, Indian passport simply dies and you have to get a new one as a renewal.

I learned these things in a hard way from San Fransico Indian Embassy.

Please go to thier web site

http://www.indianconsulate-sf.org/

and read the details. all the fees and form are availble there. I used USPS-Express-Overnight mail. They will do the renewal very fast (less than two to three days).

No Title

Thanks pvsskr for your details re GC stamping on new PP.

debo_nair : pvsskr is absolutely right about renewal of INDIA pp.

No Title

BACARD so which form did you fill in
? My passport was issued in Bombay for 10 yrs ( exp in feb 2002) ...per the other two guys they were issued new passports ...please let me know how you got extension for 20 yrs..i also read on the sfo consulate web page that an INdian passport can be renewed for another 10 yrs after the first 10 yrs..

No Title

you may be one of the last few. i think since then they stopped giving 20 year passport. I will have to check to be sure though ...

No Title

I got a 20 yrs passport a couple of years ago. But now at the
consulate web site it says that they have stopped giving out
passport for 20 years. They just issue passports for 10 years now.

-Apka Mitr

No Title

My passport expires in August 2001. I applied for renewal in December 2001 and got it till January 2011. That is less than one year expiry.

GC stamped in January 2001 (I applied for renewal anticpating I-485 approval. I don\'t want my GC stamp in a pasport which will expire in a few months).

Lnog back they used to issue 20 years renewal but not now.

No Title

same here. My old PP was valid till June 2001 but in Nov 2000 I went ahead and got new PP within a week (I also applied for PP renewal in anticipation of GC stamp soon). So the new PP is valid and in effect from Oct 2000 for next 10 years. The consulate sent the 2 passports attached with a rubberband.

The point of confusion I had was that do we need to inform INS (or anybody) about our new PP number? And it looks like the answer to this is "No". Right pvsskr?

No Title

Thanks to all of you guys who replied...I understand pvs used USPS overnight but what about the return ? is there something like a pre-paid return for FEDEX or USPS ?

No Title

I think we need not inform anybody about this change.
They already stamped in the new passport.