Ciba and others: Passport Stamping Question

SerenityNow

Registered Users (C)
Hi All,
My passport expires in July and I have recently received my I-485 approval. As my passport completes 10 years I am sure the Consulate will probably issue a new passport instead of extending it. The question for you all GURUs out there is should I get my passport renewed before passport stamping? Meaning, in case a new passport is issued would it create any complications when I go for passport stamping?
Any help in this matter is highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
-SerenityNow

No Title

SerenityNow,
I would say get your new passport from embassy in US, which has good turn around time. Then only go for passport stamping, it is very possible they will refuse to stamp it, if it is not valid at least for a year. New passport will not create any problem as my case was the same and I did not face any problem. I carried both the passports old and new, but they never bothered about old one , they stamped the new one. Also make sure you get your old passport back from embassy when they send new one, as old one may have visas or I94 attached. In my case they send both together.
Good luck.
``manny

No Title

Hi Manny,
Thanks for your quick response. I will personally go the Indian Consulate in San Francisco tomorrow and make sure I get back my old passport with the I-94 etc. I am hoping they will return the new passport the same day so that I can get my stamping done on friday.

-SerenityNow

No Title

Hi Serenity,

Actually, you can have I-551 stamped in the old passport as long
as the passport has not expired. While traveling in and out of
the country, present your old passport (with the red stamp) and
the new passport to airline or immigration officers. The two
combined is sufficient to prove your PR status. Alternatively,
you can avoid the complication by renewing the passport first,
as suggested by others. Good luck for renewal and stamping!

ciba