• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Choosing cross-chargeability of my parents

yooof

Question 6 contains options for the explanation.

I choose the country where I was born which is Saudi Arabic (in question 5).
Question 5 has a selection for the following question "Are you claiming eligibility based on the country where you were born?" I say No, I choose ''Ethiopia''.
Ethiopia is where my parent are from.
Saudi Arabic is where I was born.
Both countries are eligible but the one that my parents from has more chance of selectee.
My question is am I ok for that answer ?

1. Are you a DV2023 selectee?
2. Does your CN starts with AF instead of AS?

If yes to the above two questions, then you’ll need to be able to demonstrate your parents were temporarily in Saudi Arabia at the time of your birth (or be married to a person born in Ethiopia as at the time of the DV registration) in order for you to be able to successfully process your DV selection charged to the African region.

Yes, I am selectee dv 2023.
My case number start AF.
I get married after I filed dv lottery which means I applied as single , is it possible now to claim the eligibility of my spouse ?.
secondly , I have two passport for my father which both have Saudi Arabic visa and stamps. My father was working there around 38 years but now he come back and life with us in Ethiopia.
So what else prove do I need show the officer as cross-chargeability of my father ?

1. No, it is not possible to claim cross chargeability via your spouse in this case since you got married after your DV entry submission.
2. If your father worked in SA for 38 years, it does not seem to me like your parents were temporarily staying in SA when they gave birth to you. You will probably need more than two passports with visa stamps to demonstrate it was a temporary stay IMO.

Only my father was staying 38 years.
I my brothers , sister and mother around 9 years after that we come back at our home but father remain there.

This is what the DV instructions say

Second, you can be “charged” to the country of birth of either of your parents as long as neither of your parents was born in or a resident of your country of birth at the time of your birth. People are not generally considered residents of a country in which they were not born or legally naturalized. For example persons simply visiting, studying, or temporarily working in a country are not generally considered residents.

Only my father was staying 38 years.
I my brothers , sister and mother around 9 years after that we come back at our home but father remain there.

So what else prove do I need show the officer as cross-chargeability of my father ?

In order to cross charge to your parents’ country of birth, neither of your parents should be a resident of your birth country. You father working in SA for 38 years means you’re not eligible to cross charge to his birth country even if your mother did not stay there for 38 years like your father did. I can’t tell you what else you can use to demonstrate cross-chargeability because you do not meet the requirements to claim that IMO.

Even though my father was working there at 38 years , he is not a resident and they did not mention here the maximum number of years that a person could be stay as temporary in foreign country.

Attachments

• Web capture_7-6-2022_1235_travel.state.gov.jpeg
    Web capture_7-6-2022_1235_travel.state.gov.jpeg
    98.1 KB · Views: 2
Okay I will backtrack, let's go with your father was not a resident of SA. You nonetheless do not qualify to cross charge to your parents' country of birth because your own specific country of birth qualifies for DV lottery. In order to cross charge to your parents' country of birth, you have to be born in a non-qualifying country according to 9 FAM 502.6-4 (U) DIVERSITY VISA PROCESSING - this is adjudication material the CO's will be referring to when making decisions on visa applications

"A child born in a non-qualifying country in which neither parent was born nor was a resident at the time of the child’s birth, may claim the birthplace of either parent;"

My parents were not resident at the time I was born there and even now
Then use the visas and passports you have to try convince the CO that neither of your parents was resident. With 9 and 38 years respectively I think that’s a hard sell but you seem convinced, so ...

I attached you the instruction of dv 2023 before and now but they did not mention the 9 FAM 502.6 instruction there. And I read before I applied the dv 2023 and that instruction did not mention "A child born in a non-qualifying country in which neither parent was born nor was a resident at the time of the child’s birth, may claim the birthplace of either parent;".

Attachments

• Web capture_7-6-2022_1235_travel.state.gov.jpeg
    Web capture_7-6-2022_1235_travel.state.gov.jpeg
    98.1 KB · Views: 1
I attached you the instruction of dv 2023 before and now but they did not mention the 9 FAM 502.6 instruction there. And I read before I applied the dv 2023 and that instruction did not mention "A child born in a non-qualifying country in which neither parent was born nor was a resident at the time of the child’s birth, may claim the birthplace of either parent;".
Actually, that is what it says in the instructions, see the bold below - the “historically low rates of immigration” countries are those that are DV-eligible

Requirement #1: Natives of countries with historically low rates of immigration to the United States may be eligible to enter.

If you are not a native of a country with historically low rates of immigration to the United States, there are two other ways you might be able to qualify.
• Is your spouse a native of a country with historically low rates of immigration to the United States? If yes, you can claim your spouse’s country of birth – provided that you and your spouse are named on the selected entry, are found eligible and issued diversity visas, and enter the United States at the same time.

Are you a native of a country that does not have historically low rates of immigration to the United States, but in which neither of your parents was born or legally resident at the time of your birth? If yes, you may claim the country of birth of one of your parents if it is a country whose natives are eligible for the DV-2023 program. For more details on what this means, see the Frequently Asked Questions.

But, you only want one answer to your question. Look, you are more than free to go ahead and apply and argue your case to a CO anyway. Good luck, and remember the fees are non-refundable if you are denied.

Okay, so good luck with trying to convince the CO when you go for your interview you did nothing wrong by charging to your parents country country of birth when you should have charged to your own country of birth because you wanted get an advantage. I’m not the one that needs to be convinced you did nothing wrong.

Question 6 contains options for the explanation.

I choose the country where I was born which is Saudi Arabic (in question 5).
Question 5 has a selection for the following question "Are you claiming eligibility based on the country where you were born?" I say No, I choose ''Ethiopia''.
Ethiopia is where my parent are from.
Saudi Arabic is where I was born.
Both countries are eligible but the one that my parents from has more chance of selectee.
My question is am I ok for that answer ?

Yooof, i am exactly your case and born in Saudi Arabia.

Could you inform us what was the result of your interview for this case issue ? Did you got the visa or they rejected your application