Chinese H-1B holder with no US visa to land in Canada

Megg

Registered Users (C)
Hi:

I am a Chinese and came to the US on F-1 visa. I do not have H-1B visa in my passport. I need to land in Canada before September. Here are my questions:

1. I plan to go through Buffalo to Canada and get all the necessary paper work done and come back. How many days do I need? Can I leave a US address for them to mail me any cards and documents I will apply there? I have read here one person did leave a US address. Any body else has done so?
2. Do I need a visa to come back to the US? Will they question me regarding the visa since my passport will show my Canadian PR status? Will I be able to get multi-entry visa?
3. I-94. Should I give to the border officials at either side? If they do take my I-94 when crossing border, my h-1B visa that I will get in Canada will be proof of my continuous stay in the US. Am I right?

Thanks in advance for your response. Any other pointers will be highly appreciated.

No Title

1. one day could be ok for landing and SIN#
2. not sure about US address
3. no need to give i-94 to CA officials.
4. no need visa for back to US as long as u have i-94 and approval card.

good luck

No Title

Thanks very much, Ken-oli. Do you forsee any problems if I go to the US embessy to get a visa so maybe I can use to go outside of the US?

No Title

Theoreitcally, you should be able to get back with onely I-94 and approval card. it will be worth a try for later convenience. Not sure if you fail to get it.

No Title

In response to your first question concerning using US address to apply for SIN -- it did not work for me.

I applied for the card in May in Mississauga, but was told that they don\'t send the card to a US address, and they also don\'t allow you to pick up from their office anymore, as I had seen others suggested before.

What I ended up doing was to open a temporary (3 months) mail box account at Mailbox Etc. since all they want is an address to send the card to. If you know somebody in Toronto, you can probably use their address for this purpose.

I am not a landed immigrant, but on an employment authorization, but I doubt that would make any difference. I would suggest that you call the office where you are going to apply to make sure before you go. I found them very helpful. Look up http://www.hrdc-drhc.gc.ca/sin-nas/010_e.shtml for faqs and phone numbers and addresses.

Hope this helps.