Chinese Birth Certificates

meg_z

Registered Users (C)
I have notarized document stating my birth date, birth place and names of my parents. As far as my understanding, this was the standard form of birth document for people going overseas. My attorney's office thinks that I need secondary document showing my birth date and place, or affidavits from parents or older relatives.

Has anybody done affidavits in China? While waiting for the attorney's response, I would like to know how you proceeded with this. Does the affidavit (I assume in Chinese) have to be notarized in China? Unlike in the US, the notary public agency is part of the government function. So it is slow. Thanks in advance.

Notarized birth certificate is enough

I have notarized document stating my birth date, birth place and names of my parents. As far as my understanding, this was the standard form of birth document for people going overseas. My attorney's office thinks that I need secondary document showing my birth date and place, or affidavits from parents or older relatives.

Has anybody done affidavits in China? While waiting for the attorney's response, I would like to know how you proceeded with this. Does the affidavit (I assume in Chinese) have to be notarized in China? Unlike in the US, the notary public agency is part of the government function. So it is slow. Thanks in advance.
We only submitted the standard notarized birth certificates with our I-485 applications.

My wife is from Taiwan and her birth certificate was in chinese. We got the birth certificate translated in english by professionals in Taiwan and then got it notorized. I must say it was done very professionally and looked perfect. No wonder I got RFE on my birth certificate whereas she did not get any RFE on birth certificate. I would suggest you to get the translation done by professional people in China and also get affidavits (atleast 2) from your paternal or maternal uncle/aunt. And have one affidavit from your father.

Good to know that!

We only submitted the standard notarized birth certificates with our I-485 applications.

Thanks very much. Hopefully my attorney will back off from this affidavit notion. I hope you do not mind to answer another question of mine regarding vaccination. I have a small booklet stating vaccines I received while in China. Was your vaccine record from China acceptable during medical examination? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, Newyork

My wife is from Taiwan and her birth certificate was in chinese. We got the birth certificate translated in english by professionals in Taiwan and then got it notorized. I must say it was done very professionally and looked perfect. No wonder I got RFE on my birth certificate whereas she did not get any RFE on birth certificate. I would suggest you to get the translation done by professional people in China and also get affidavits (atleast 2) from your paternal or maternal uncle/aunt. And have one affidavit from your father.

Are you from Mainland? Would you share a little detail of the RFE? Did you go through the affidavit route to satisfy the RFE? Thanks.

Are you from Mainland? Would you share a little detail of the RFE? Did you go through the affidavit route to satisfy the RFE? Thanks.
I am Indian and my wife is from Taiwan. They issued RFE for my birth certificate because it was registered late. I was asked to provide the following:
1) Copy of Birth Certificate from municipality - I provided them with the letter from the municipality basically restating all my birth certifcate details
2) Additional evidence for my date of birth - I provided a notorized letter on stamp paper from the court from my Father, my father's bother and my mother's sister basically stating they were aware that i was born on such and such date and my place of birth and my parent's full name name.
3) Evidence from High school - I provided high school certificate and any other high school or senior seconday evidence showing your date of birth.

Thanks, Newyork for your detailed answer.

I am Indian and my wife is from Taiwan. They issued RFE for my birth certificate because it was registered late. I was asked to provide the following:
1) Copy of Birth Certificate from municipality - I provided them with the letter from the municipality basically restating all my birth certifcate details
2) Additional evidence for my date of birth - I provided a notorized letter on stamp paper from the court from my Father, my father's bother and my mother's sister basically stating they were aware that i was born on such and such date and my place of birth and my parent's full name name.
3) Evidence from High school - I provided high school certificate and any other high school or senior seconday evidence showing your date of birth.

I certainly hope I will never be asked for these. I was never given a diploma or certificate until college graduation. My bechalor's diploma has my birth month and year and where I was from (not birthplace). Thanks again and good luck.

... ... I have a small booklet stating vaccines I received while in China. Was your vaccine record from China acceptable during medical examination? Thanks.
Don't count on it. I'm guessing that the small vaccine booklet you mentioned was the yellow-covered book that they gave you right before you left the country. If it is, then the vaccine types documented in that booklet are very limited and won't satisfied the requirements of 485 medical examination. For example, that booklet won't include tetanus, measles, chickenpox, etc. If you've ever received any vaccines in US in the past, then bring your medical records with you and it will save you from the troubles of being vaccinated again.

It's pretty simple actually. For my case, I just had my brother went to the local police office to ask for a written letter states my birthday and my parents' names. and notarized it at the public notary which is a department of the government in China.

Good luck.

Thanks, Madison04

Don't count on it. I'm guessing that the small vaccine booklet you mentioned was the yellow-covered book that they gave you right before you left the country. If it is, then the vaccine types documented in that booklet are very limited and won't satisfied the requirements of 485 medical examination. For example, that booklet won't include tetanus, measles, chickenpox, etc. If you've ever received any vaccines in US in the past, then bring your medical records with you and it will save you from the troubles of being vaccinated again.

Yes. That is what I was refering to. I do not mind to take a few shots. My spouse is needle-phobic. Thanks again.

Thanks, Little_Bug

It's pretty simple actually. For my case, I just had my brother went to the local police office to ask for a written letter states my birthday and my parents' names. and notarized it at the public notary which is a department of the government in China.

Good luck.

My attorney's office came back saying they have not had any problems by using similar notarized certificates I have. I just hate to bother family and friends back home. Thanks.