Child's Citizenship

Cozyhome

Registered Users (C)
I will file citizenship application soon. My question is if my child can go with the same application with me? My child was born overseas and he is less than one year old. He got his green card when he entered US. Any suggestion will be highly appreciated.

Your child will automatically acquire US citizenship the day you naturalize. You simply need to apply for a US passport for him after you naturalize. Requirements for the child's passport are your naturalization certificate, child's green card and child's original birth certificate showing both parents' names. Both you and your child can apply for passports simultaneously.

Fantastic! Thank you so much for the information.

Your child will automatically acquire US citizenship the day you naturalize. You simply need to apply for a US passport for him after you naturalize. Requirements for the child's passport are your naturalization certificate, child's green card and child's original birth certificate showing both parents' names. Both you and your child can apply for passports simultaneously.

or apply for N-600 for your child to obtain a certificate for your child after you become a US citizen.

It has been discussed here before. Here's the information: http://boards.immigration.com/showthread.php?t=283826&highlight=n600

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say Apply passport first then apply for N600. Remember, passport expires but Cirtificate of Naturalization never expires. So, do both!! HTH!!!!

Yes, but don't get confused. N-600 is something that is applied after you naturalize and your child becomes an "automatic" citizen (some conditions apply for which it seems that you qualify). Don't apply for N600 for your child before your naturalization. You can apply for child passport and N600 concurrently. However, N600 is going to take several months, and passport just a couple of weeks. I would recommend you to apply for both passport book and passport card for your child. You never have enough proof of citizenship, believe me.

Child's Citizenship in USA

# The child has at least one United States citizen parent.
# The child is under 18 years of age.
# The child is currently residing permanently in the United States in the legal and physical custody of the United States citizen parent.
# The child has been admitted to the United States as a lawful permanent resident or has been adjusted to this status.