Children under 18 and citizenship

Wosa

Registered Users (C)
My youngster will still be 17 when his mother (my wife) takes the oath on Aug 31. His 18th birthday is at the end of November. I was stuck in name check and my interview is scheduled for Oct 3. The USCIS notice for the oath ceremony says to bring a child if a child is party to the application and also says no children are allowed. I know it is obligatory for their notices to be confusing but this one takes the cake.

Question --
Will the child become a citizen when his mother takes the oath?
OR
Will he have to wait until both his mother and I are citizens?
AND
Does he have to attend the oath ceremony?
AND
What paperwork needs filing for his proof of citizenship.

I know you guys will have straight answers for me.:confused:

My youngster will still be 17 when his mother (my wife) takes the oath on Aug 31. His 18th birthday is at the end of November. I was stuck in name check and my interview is scheduled for Oct 3. The USCIS notice for the oath ceremony says to bring a child if a child is party to the application and also says no children are allowed. I know it is obligatory for their notices to be confusing but this one takes the cake.

Question --
Will the child become a citizen when his mother takes the oath?

OR
Will he have to wait until both his mother and I are citizens?
AND
Does he have to attend the oath ceremony?
AND
What paperwork needs filing for his proof of citizenship.

I know you guys will have straight answers for me.:confused:

If your child has a green card the option that will apply is the one I highlighted in green (I hope you're not color blind ;) Your child doesn't need to attend the oath ceremony, but I think it would be nice as he will become a citizen at the time your wife takes the oath. You can apply for a certificate of citizenship with form N-600 it is $460 dollars now, so it doesn't come cheap. It is not mandatory, he can obtain a passport with his birth certificate, green card and your wife's naturalization certificate. Here in San Jose they allowed to bring young children into the naturalization area. I don't know how the ceremony is performed in your area, perhaps he could go to the guest area if they don't allow him to be in the naturalization area. Again, I am not sure how they organize the ceremony over there. Congratulations for your wife and good luck to you.

Thanks

Thanks, that is the way I read the statute. However there seems to be a hundred and one other interpretations.

Hi Wosa,

I know people often say it isn't mandatory to get the Certificate of Citizenship, but I would urge you to apply for one (for your 18 yr old). This is due to the fact that a permanent record of their citizenship is created once a certificate is issued. So your son will have his own record, rather than a passport which is tied to a parent's citizenship. So if your child ever loses his certificate or passport, it is easy for the government to track his citizenship status. Also, a certificate does not expire and can be used for all legal purposes - much like a birth certificate. I know the passport can be used in some instances, but not all. For example, if the passport has been expired for a number of years - it is null and void for use as proof of citizenship.