Child Status Protection Act-Retention of Priority Date?

bubblejc

Registered Users (C)
Here's my situation:

My Uncle filed a petiton for my mom (F4) in June 1993, and our priority date is July01, 1993.

My Birthday is October 26th, 1982-> I turned 21 on Oct 26th, 2003.

As far as I understand, CS_PA applies to my case. However, using the formula provided by CSPA, I am over 21.

My family has recently paid the fee and submitted DS-230 (and of course my name is not on the list anymore)

CSPA section 3 says "If the age of an alien is determined under paragraph (1) to be 21 years of age or older...retain the original priority date issued upon receipt of the original petition."

My question is: What do I do now so I can benefit from CSPA? What does the "automatically be converted to the appropriate category" mean exactly? Does it mean INS will create a petition for me under my mom's name (F2b)? Does my mom or I have to do file something? Do I just wait until interview?

Does anyone have a similar situation as I do? And the action taken and results are??

Also, my older sister's birthday is Feb 15th, 1980. What about her case?

Thank You Very Much

Ours is exactly the same case.

CSPA section 3 says "If the age of an alien is determined under paragraph (1) to be 21 years of age or older...retain the original priority date issued upon receipt of the original petition." All this has to be done within a year?

Now, if this is correct, then the 'child' who is now the 'unmarried son or daughter' should be automatically convrte to F2B catagory. Further, if that catagory is current then the visa number should be immediately available. Any such cases approved?

Also - does anyone know how to proceed in case the 'child' is on F1 visa - can he or she take the GC there itself? How do we(parents in Delhi) process the papers?

Retention of Priority Date Detail by Lawyer

Retention of Priority Date

This article also highlights a very interesting provision of the CSPA, which till now has not been interpreted by the DOS or the USCIS.

Section 3 of the CSPA introduced INA Section 203(h)(3), which states:

“Retention of Priority Date – If the age of an alien is determined under paragraph (1) to be 21 years of age or older for the purposes of subsections (a)(2)(A) and (d), the alien’s petition shall automatically be converted to the appropriate category and the alien shall retain the original priority date issued upon receipt of the original petition.”

This provision makes reference to subsections (2)(A) and (d) of INA Section 203. INA Section 203(2)(A) refers to children of permanent resident aliens who have been sponsored under the second family preference (2A). Thus, if the child is determined to be 21 years or older when the visa number becomes available, his or her petition will automatically move from the 2A category to the family-based second preference category for sons and daughters of permanent residents (2B). INA Section 203(h)(3) thus codifies the former practice of the INS, now USCIS, of converting a 2A petition to a 2B petition when the child turns 21 years old. The priority date of the 2A petition is retained for the 2B petition.

The most intriguing aspect, though, is this provision’s reference to INA Section 203(d), which relates to derivative children of beneficiaries of family-based or employment-based petitions. If a derivative child is found to be 21 years of age, INA Section 203(h)(3) indicates that the child’s “petition shall automatically be converted to the appropriate category and the alien shall retain the original priority date issued upon receipt of the original petition.” Although no petition is filed for a derivative child, this provision interestingly provides for the automatic conversion to the “appropriate category.”9

Take, for example, the child of a sibling of a US citizen who was sponsored under the family-based fourth preference (F-4) category. The US citizen brother or sister filed an I-130 petition for the sibling parent overseas, and not for the derivative child. After the passage of many years (usually, over 10 years for an F-4 petition), the sibling parent obtains permanent residence upon the visa becoming available. The child may not qualify because he or she was 21 or older at the time of visa availability. However, the parent may file a separate family 2B petition on behalf of the son or daughter upon acquiring permanent residence.

A literal reading of INA Section 203(h)(3) suggests that the child should automatically be able to fall into the 2B category, which would carry the priority date of the original F-4 petition that the US citizen sibling filed on behalf of the parent. The provision does not require the filing of a separate 2B petition. To date, we have seen no interpretation on this provision.

Until such an interpretation is issued, the parent who chooses to file a 2B petition for the son or daughter should invoke INA Section 203(h)(3)’s beneficial language that at least allows for the retention of the priority date of the original F-4 petition. In the event that the USCIS does not accept this interpretation, it would provide a basis for the petitioner to litigate this issue in federal court.
4. Conclusion

While zealous advocacy in obtaining an expansive interpretation of the CSPA is essential, practitioners may ultimately have to resort to litigation in order to ensure that the CSPA protects the broadest group of beneficiaries. It is hoped that this article and others would provide food for thought to those lawyers who wish to litigate these issues on behalf of their clients.

I would like you to read the following article...

"PUSHING THE ENVELOPE WITH THE CHILD STATUS PROTECTION ACT"

Please Click on the following Link to read the article
http://www.cyrusmehta.com/news_cyrus.asp?news_id=915&intPage=1

Join Class Action Lawsuit

In the above article Section Retention of Priority Date”

where two Derivative Beneficiary children turned age 21 prior to or after the enactment date of CSPA did not benefit from this act. or

derivative beneficiaries who did not benefit from CSPA after age calculation. beneficiaries should be able to retain the priority date of the original petition and should be converted to the appropriate category.

It also states that this argument has yet to be accepted by BCIS or DOS and there is no interpretation from them.

I am in same situatiuon were my nephew and neice whom i have file for his/her mother ( my sister ) in year 1990 and after 15 years waiting now they get left out

We might be able to overcome this issue with litigation. If any one interested in class action Litigation and please contact me by replying to post or send private messages

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
This is other grate article I found by Mr Lee

All five memos to date have dealt with situations in which petitions were approved and children aged out prior to the enactment date of the CSPA as these situations are immediate. BCIS and DOS should in the future issue guidance on the treatment of those cases falling within part 2 of Section 8 in which petitions are pending or filed on or after 8/6/02, the priority date will not be current for many years, and the derivative beneficiary ages out while the petition is pending but years before the priority date is available for visa issuance. As clear eligibility under the statute is present15, BCIS can be expected to reference the retention of priority date part of section 3 to the effect that the petitions should be converted automatically to the appropriate category under which aged-out children would be eligible to immigrate at a later time when the priority date is current. In all cases, where applicable, aged-out children would convert to the F-2B category for unmarried sons and daughters of permanent residents with a retention of the parent's priority date. This would mean that in many cases involving extended waiting times for parents, the aged out children should be able to save years in immigrating to this country. For example, in the case of parents immigrating in 2018 on the basis of a fourth preference sibling petition with a 2002 priority date where the child was 15 years of age at the time for that petition was filed, the aged out child should be able to use the 2002 priority date for an automatically converted petition to the F-2B category in 2018. As the priority date under the F-2B category would most likely be current for visa issuance, the speed of immigration would depend upon the mechanism used by BCIS/DOS to effect the automatic conversion. In a regular conversion case today where a parent previously petitioned for his or her spouse and the child was a derivative beneficiary who aged out in the process, the law requires the petitioner to file a new I-130 petition to retain the old priority date16. In this case, a mechanism would have to be devised without the necessity of a further petition because of the automatic conversion provision. It is entirely possible that the parents can go through a notification process either through the BCIS or any other procedure that is acceptable to BCIS/DOS. Whether this automatic conversion would be made prior to the parents' immigration so that the family could immigrate together appears highly unlikely as the appropriate category for conversion would only become available when the parents actually immigrate. Because of the need to have an "appropriate category" under which to immigrate, aged out children who have married would most likely not be able to benefit as only U.S. citizen parents can sponsor married sons or daughters.

The same solution should apply for children who aged out prior to August 6, 2002, where petitions for the parents were approved prior to that date, but in which final determinations had not yet been made on the parent's cases by that date. Section 8 part 1 clearly speaks about a final determination being made on the "beneficiary's" application rather than the derivative beneficiary's. The first lines of section 8 delineate derivative beneficiaries as being covered by the section. Ageing out of the derivative beneficiaries prior to the priority date becoming current cannot foreclose eligibility under the CSPA as such a reading would be in violation of the rules of statutory construction that all terms in a statute are to be given effect17 and that the widest possible range should be given to possible beneficiaries of the statute18. Thus these aged out children should be deemed covered by Section 3, part 3 and allowed to retain the original priority date of the parent's petition for purposes of their own immigration in the appropriate category. For example, where the parent is a beneficiary of an F-4 sibling petition with a priority date of 1991, the petition is approved in 1992, the beneficiary ages out in 1995, and the parent is only now immigrating, the aged out child should be able to swiftly immigrate under the F-2B category using the parent's 1991 priority date. Of course, if the parent immigrates under other categories with later priority dates, the aged out child would have to wait longer to immigrate, e.g.-With a parent's priority date of March 15, 1998, under the EB-3 category for professional/skilled workers, the aged out child would have to wait for some years for the date to clear under the F-2B category which as of June 2003 is open for individuals filing prior to October 22, 1994.19

IV. A Less Restrictive Interpretation is Not Refuted by the Legislative Record

DOS in answer to questions posed by the American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA) on March 27, 2003, as to whether the CSPA would cover petitions that had been approved and the beneficiary aged out--both events happening before 8/6/02-- in situations where the beneficiary had not made applications for immigration and thus not had "final determinations" which would bar them from eligibility under the CSPA, stated that ageing out could be considered a final determination and that CSPA section 8's reference to the "beneficiary's application" could be interpreted as requiring that the beneficiary actually have made an application20. DOS then said that AILA's interpretation "which would result in resurrecting cases where the alien had aged out years ago and failed to apply because of that, would present very serious problems of administration and would not appear to effectuate Congress's intent to place a meaningful limits on the law's retroactivity."21 However, this view is not supported by the legislative history as there was no debate on the question of retroactivity. The only material on this subject is a Department of Justice letter contained in House Report 107-45 accompanying the House bill, H.R. 1209, in April 2001 when the legislation only allowed relief to immediate relatives of U.S. citizens.22 Concerns were raised by the Department of Justice as the bill at that stage would have applied to all cases in which children aged out during the time of processing with either agency “before, on, or after” the date of enactment.23 The Justice Department opined that H.R. 1209 's retroactivity could affect determinations made as long ago as 1952.24 DOJ undoubtedly envisioned the retroactivity clause as affecting all past adjudications since 1952 because aged-out children who had immigrated since then in the F-2B or other category would have to have been reclassified as immediate relatives on INS entry records. The Department of Justice then wrote,

The general practice with respect to changes in the law is that the amendments apply to future petitions and those pending on the date of enactment, but not to determinations made before the date of enactment. We understand, however, that Congress may seek to address cases of children who have aged out in the past. Therefore, if Congress considers it necessary to address past cases, we would prefer reasonable limits to retroactivity, such as making the changes retroactively applicable only to petitions denied as a result of the beneficiary aging out within a specified period of time. A more limited retroactivity would provide relief in recent ageout cases under current or recent immigration law while avoiding the harmful effects and legal complications of potentially reopening cases decided decades ago.25

Retroactivity under the correct interpretation of the CSPA as outlined above would not upset this expectation of the Justice Department. Congress did give a limited retroactivity to the CSPA and the BCIS or DOS will not have to look back any further than August 6, 2002 with limited exceptions as delineated by the BCIS/DOS26. The Act requires the beneficiary's case to still be alive on August 6, 200227. Therefore it would not apply where no case was before either the BCIS or DOS on that date. Neither agency would have to worry about digging out cases concluded decades ago. The Act only provides that a derivative beneficiary who aged out prior to August 6, 2002 now immigrate under the "appropriate category."28 Nothing compels either BCIS or DOS to reopen files from long ago to assign parents' preference categories to aged out children who may have immigrated under other categories.

would like you to read the following article...

" A CRITICAL LOOK AT BCIS'/DOS' INTERPRETATIONS OF THE CSPA" By Alan Lee

Please Click on the following Link to read the article
http://www.alanleelaw.com/english/articles/aCSPAfootnoted.html

same case. already submitted ds230 part 1 form and paid. but name not included in list of travel applicants that we've recently received. my dob is 1979. our priority date will become current probably by november. i'm hoping i can migrate with my parents.

- when will i ask for retention of priority date? after my parents migrate to the u.s. or right now?

- should we hire an immigration lawyer? should it be an american lawyer?

Please read above link to article

INS does not agree with argument that your file can retain parity date and able to trasfer file to new catagory since you are already 21

you have to file either I-824 or Send DSL part 1 by doing this you put your self in better situation and open to future interpertation of CSPA LAW

If you father comes to US he will be still able to file I-130 for kids over 21
and that will get new parity date

this is not legel advice please contact good lawyer for more detail

If you are in same situation and were interested in class action Litigation please contact me by email.

cspa@starband.net

roger_1986 said:
INS does not agree with argument that your file can retain parity date and able to trasfer file to new catagory since you are already 21

you have to file either I-824 or Send DSL part 1 by doing this you put your self in better situation and open to future interpertation of CSPA LAW

If you father comes to US he will be still able to file I-130 for kids over 21
and that will get new parity date

this is not legel advice please contact good lawyer for more detail

what's I-824 and DSL part1? when will i file I-824 or send DSL part 1? now or after my parents migrate? please link me if there is a group support for these kinds of cases. thanks

we got response from nvc:
according to our records, the beneficiary's son or daughter is now 21 of age or older. consequently, he or she no longer eligible to be a derivative beneficiary of the petition below. a separate immigrant visa petition must be filed by the petitioner or beneficiary (upon entering the us) on behalf of the son or daughter.
there is a law, the child status protection act(cspa), which applies to a narrow range of cases that may allow the beneficiary's son or daughter to remain eligible under the petition listed below. at the time of the parent's visa interview, the consular officer will determine whether or not cspa is applicable in this particular situation.

please somebody tell me what this mean? is it telling me that cspa is applicable to my case. :confused:

I-824

I-824 is form that you file with NVC to take action on your file

DSL form is form # DS-230 their is two part two

part one is page 1 and 2

part two is page 3 and 4

this above form you have to fill and send to NVC or US consular prior to your
interview date

Retention of Priority Date - CSPA

I would like to know if anyone is in the same situation as i am. i was a derivative beneficiary in category F3 (my parent is the married son/daughter of a US citizen), but I aged out in 2001, prior to the passage of the CSPA.

Our family's priority date was 1996 and in november 2002, the priority date became current. The CSPA became law in Aug 2002. The rest of my family obtained LPR status (Green Cards) in the spring of 2003; Shortly after, my parents submitted a new I-130 for me, and along with it sent a letter stating that as per the CSPA, I was eligible to retain the origial priority date which was a 1996 date. Therefore, I am now waiting in the category F2B, unmarried son/duaghter of LPR.

My I-130 petition to date has not been adjudicated. As the original priority date is not yet current, our lawyer has told us to just wait and see what priority date I am given and if it is not the 1996 one then he will file an appeal at that time. If you are in my situation, what have you done so far, and what do you plan to do?

Has anyone had any feedback from the BCIS or any other government departments advising as to what to do, or what have you been advised to do by your lawyer? Do you know of any cases like mine where the person has been successful in retaining the original priority date of their parent's application. Please either reply to me by posting here or privately by email at derkeydog@gmail.com

idolfan311 said:
what's I-824 and DSL part1? when will i file I-824 or send DSL part 1? now or after my parents migrate? please link me if there is a group support for these kinds of cases. thanks

we got response from nvc:

please somebody tell me what this mean? is it telling me that cspa is applicable to my case. :confused:

Since you have a 1979 birthday, i assume what you will be trying to do is to retain the original priority date of your parent? have you had any further feedback from the consular officer or from a lawyer on how to handle this. thanks

Child Status Protection Act Victory

On December 20, 2004, A Case was filed by an applicant named Kim. G. Young who was a derivative beneficiary of employment based category (which can be assumed equivilent to F-4 category for age-calculation purposes). The case was presented in front of immigration judge. The lawyer invoked the regulation of CSPA that the category of this applicant should automatic be converted to family based one and priority date should be retained. And Immigration Judge ordered the retention of priority date and conversion of the category and ordered adjustment of status of that applicant. This confirms the provision of category conversion and retention of priority date. This case can be used as a base and immigration case can be filed in BIA if the category conversion provision is still not accepted. This case was filed based on some other facts for that particular applicant but the important provision of age-out has been addressed.
source: http://www.laseraseclinic.com/cspa

So when so many people are interested in more clarifications shouldn't the concerned authorities give some clarifications?
And if one case has been approved they should also let others take the same advantage rather that wait for them to fight out the case.

i heard similar cases like this here in manila.
hello every body,

lastly all of our efforts ended in good way,really god is with us,
thanks for him,my priority date became current in may 2001,(in f4)
i got agent packet in mid of june,where my daughter of 26 year old name is not inculded,then i returned packet in end of august to nvc,
and paid the fees for me and my spouse and son(19 year boy),and not paid fees to my daughter since her name is not in the form sent by nvc,
then nvc sent the case to our consulate,i asked the consulate to schedule the interview in janavary 2003 (due to my personal problem),
then i keep checking my daughter eligibility in consulate,In december i got the mail from consulate that "we will decide your daughter case
at the time of visa interview",i got interview in 24 of this month(janavary) when i attend the interview they asked my daughter(26 old) birth certificate and police clearance certificate(i told them i dont know when my case is approved)
and some others documents(like education certificates),till that moment i thought that my daughter is not eligible,consulate people told my daughter to sign the paper,i asked them why she as to sign,Is she is eligible,they told me that she is eligible,i got shocked ,thanks for
consulate people,i asked officer how much time my petetion is pending,then i got shocked for the second time,he told me that your case is pending
for 18 days,then i thought after calculation they had applied retention of priority to my daughter,they asked me to pay the visa fees to my
daughter in dollors ,i paid it,finally my case ended in honey, my suggestion is those who are trying for visa in f4 ,please keep in touch with consulate,personal thanks for president,boni,easy_cspa,sunil,antman23,amar, guest R and those who written suggestion in this phorum, and thanks for this phorum supervisor,
finally lot of thanks for the people who had worked to pass this child status protection act,
good luck to every body ,let god bless america and all,

mandeep patel

source: http://discuss.ilw.com/eve/ubb.x/a/tpc/f/902603441/m/8976036212/p/1

Hi there,
Thank you for sharing your experience. I am not sure on if I understand what happened correctly.
1. Was your original priority date in 1989?
2. Did your 26 year old daughter get her green card as part of the original F4 petition, or did the authorities actually transfer her into category 2B, and then once she was in category 2B (unmarried son/daughter of an LPR), the 1989 priority date was already current?
3. If your daugter's petition was transferred to 2B. what paperwork did you have to fill out, and how long was it before she got her green card?

Could you either post your reply or if you like, send your reply to me at derkeydog5@yahoo.com
Thanks very much

Question for Geeti

hi there,
once you had obtained your green card, did you file a new separate petition for your child with the 1980 birthdate?

also, please note that there is now a page 2 with posts.

Hi

Here is some info on my sons case-maybe benefit others

Husband applied for I 140 Sept 2000 - approved May 2001

Husband applied for his own I 485 Feb 2002, at the same time submitted I 824 for son to follow to join- both cases were pending at enactment of CSPA

This I 824 was submitted within one year of visa approval (I 140)

Child became 21 April 2002- before enactment of CSPA

The I 824 came back denied Oct 2002- with letter saying submit new I 824 for son once husbands I 485 was approved!!!!!!

In April 2004 husbands I 485 was approved

In early May 2004 husband sent 2nd application of I 824 for son. This came back approved in Aug 2004 and cable/fax sent to consulate on that date

As of Jan 2005 son has not herd from consulate- made enquiries- consulate say did not receive approval- sent various certified letters with copy of I 824 approval to consulate

On 29th April consulate now at least acknowledge son- and said requesting advisory opinion ref cspa

Still waiting for answer 24th July 2005

According to laywer my son is protected under limited situation

Son aged out prior to CSPA - Patriot act + 45 days after 21st birthday. So offical age out date is June 2002- still before CSPA

Husband filed I 824 for son within one year of visa approval (I 140) and was pending at CSPA. At the time of filing son was under 21years

If both patriot act and CSPA apply, child should be accorded the benefit of whatever suits child

Regards Sue

What is the Limited Situation RE CSPA
According to l

Hi Susan,
Thanks for posting your son's situation. It is very similar to my situation, but as I mentioned in an earlier post, the steps we have taken are different. Our lawyer only had us file the I-130 along with a letter about my "retention of priority date" due to the CSPA. This means that I am applying for a Green Card under category 2B which is the unamarried son (over the age of 21) of an LPR (green card holder) If I am not granted the original priority date of 1996, then he is going to appeal my case.

Could you further explain what you mean by:
"According to laywer my son is protected under limited situation" What is the limited situation?

Thanks