Child/Sibling Over 21 MEXICO

Phx_Girl

Registered Users (C)
Hello. Just looking for some advice, as wether there's anything to be done for my sister.

Way back in Sept 1997 my father submitted I-130 for my over 21, non-married sister. She lives in the U.S. and applied under the 245-i law.
He is now a new American citizen, and already working on sending in a copy of his Naturalization certificate and her I-130 approval to the Visa center, to upgrade her category to daughter of a US citizen, but that only moves her up a few months. :(

I submitted another i-130 for her in 2010. Question here, does my Dad's priority date apply to the application I submitted for her? That would move her up a few years.

Also, with all the changes to immigration recently, is there anything for her to do currently to get a Green Card right away?
Since she is from Mexico, according to the Visa Bulletin she still has about a 6 year wait!

Thank you for any help provided.

Last edited by a moderator:
I submitted another i-130 for her in 2010. Question here, does my Dad's priority date apply to the application I submitted for her?
No. Porting of priority dates isn't allowed between petitions filed by different relatives.

Also, with all the changes to immigration recently, is there anything for her to do currently to get a Green Card right away?
Not yet, as the Comprehensive Immigration Reform hasn't become law. If it is signed into law, maybe her education and other qualifications could make her eligible for a green card under the proposed points system.