Child Green Card after 14 years, 5 years completing and we planning to apply for Citizenship.

Abhyaa

We will complete 5 years of our Green Crads in April 2019, and were preparing for applying for US Citizenship. As we went through different posts etc, understood, our son who turned 14 in April 2018 has to file for Renewing his Greencard after he turns 14. His GC is valid for 10 years till 2024 and we were not aware of this USCIS rule. Since we are ready to file for our Citizenship wanted to check
1) Do we have to file form I-90 to renew our sons GC
2) Can we wait till he turns 16 I.e till April 2020.
3) Once we receive our Citizenship, he will become citizen so shall we renew his GC and spend around 500 Dollars.
4) Any issues for our citizenship process since his GC is not renewed, we have received no mail or notifications saying his GC is not valid etc.
5) Can he travel outside of US now if his current GC?

Request somebody to o clear our doubts. We were planning to go ahead and apply for my Spouse citizenship and once she gets it apply for their US passports her and my Son's. I have to travel abroad this year and so planning to apply for my citizenship after all my travels are done.

Regards,

Abhya

We will complete 5 years of our Green Crads in April 2019, and were preparing for applying for US Citizenship. As we went through different posts etc, understood, our son who turned 14 in April 2018 has to file for Renewing his Greencard after he turns 14. His GC is valid for 10 years till 2024 and we were not aware of this USCIS rule. Since we are ready to file for our Citizenship wanted to check
1) Do we have to file form I-90 to renew our sons GC
2) Can we wait till he turns 16 I.e till April 2020.
3) Once we receive our Citizenship, he will become citizen so shall we renew his GC and spend around 500 Dollars.
4) Any issues for our citizenship process since his GC is not renewed, we have received no mail or notifications saying his GC is not valid etc.
5) Can he travel outside of US now if his current GC?

Request somebody to o clear our doubts. We were planning to go ahead and apply for my Spouse citizenship and once she gets it apply for their US passports her and my Son's. I have to travel abroad this year and so planning to apply for my citizenship after all my travels are done.

Regards,

Abhya
If his GC is valid for nother 5 years.. Nothing to worry about.. It expires on 2024..thats the only time you file for a renewal.

When ever the parent naturalizes once the child is under 18. Take the US Citizen parent citizenship certificate and apply for a US passport for said child.

Can file N600 for citizenship certificate down the road.

@Jbuff there is a requirement to file for a new GC (with biometrics) when a child turns 14, irrespective of original expiry date unless that will be before the child turns 16 - that is what OP is talking about.

I haven’t responded because I don’t know whether or not it’s needed for naturalization. Once he is a citizen obviously you don’t need a new green card.

We got the new GC for our kid after she turned 14, a bit late, and it took almost a year to get sent to us (not sure if the delays are still so long). We had traveled with the old one after she turned 14 and there was no problem with doing that.

@Jbuff there is a requirement to file for a new GC (with biometrics) when a child turns 14, irrespective of original expiry date unless that will be before the child turns 16 - that is what OP is talking about.

I haven’t responded because I don’t know whether or not it’s needed for naturalization. Once he is a citizen obviously you don’t need a new green card.

We got the new GC for our kid after she turned 14, a bit late, and it took almost a year to get sent to us (not sure if the delays are still so long). We had traveled with the old one after she turned 14 and there was no problem with doing that.
I stand corrected !! If thats a new rule i would suggest the OP file for the renewal for his son. The GC renewal and the N400 processing times seems different for everyone lately . Some folks completes it in a matter of a few months whilst others closer to a year or more .

So renewing the GC would be the smart thing to do , seing that there is no way to know how long the N400 process can be and if the GC isnt valid in the Eyes of USCIS . Its safe to say he cant travel with it.

I stand corrected !! If thats a new rule i would suggest the OP file for the renewal for his son. The GC renewal and the N400 processing times seems different for everyone lately . Some folks completes it in a matter of a few months whilst others closer to a year or more .

So renewing the GC would be the smart thing to do , seing that there is no way to know how long the N400 process can be and if the GC isnt valid in the Eyes of USCIS . Its safe to say he cant travel with it.
It’s not a new rule. It’s been around for years. And like I said my daughter traveled with her old one well past 14 with no problems. So I know it “should” be done, but I don’t know if not doing it actually affects anything.