Chicago I-485 ..AOS ..

Finally! :)

My receipt date is Jan 23, 2002 and I got the letter on Sat. that my interview date is Feb 3rd. There was someone else eager to know as he/she had a Feb 2002 recepit date.

I have to do the medical exam and get my papers in order.

Quick questions:
1) I was here on H1 and my wife is a citizen. We got married first in India and again here in court when we returned to keep paperwok simple. We've used the court date as the marriage date but will have pics from the Indian date wedding at the interview. Can this cause problems or am I being paranoid? :)

2) Just curious as to what kinds of questions they ask.

3) Is there an additional security clearance after the interview date? Been married > 2 yrs, so is the stamp on the passport automatic? Can I travel with that or do I need the actual green card?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks Somberi. Appreciate your timeline. My RD is beginning of Feb., 2002 about 2 weeks after yours.

May I ask when did you have your fingerprint done?

Good luck in your interview. Let us know whether you get the stamp after your interview.

The fingerprints were taken in Oct. 2003. And I went back last month to get fingerprints re-taken for EAD, but they only took the index finger, and it crosschecked with their database. Advanced! :)

I'll let you know about the interview etc ... Hang in there. You should be getting yours soon .... Good luck.

Does anyone knows where to file AOS forms. I live in Chicago. Do i need to file it with Chicago INS office or sent it to Nebraska. The document instruction are pretty vague. Please Help!!!!

Had my interview yesterday. It was a breeze. We waited for ~1hr in the 2nd floor waiting area. Then on to the 23rd floor where we waited 10 mins.

The interview was very basic. They looked at joint bank account, lease, tax returns, car title, credit card statements. We had way more than they asked. They didn't even look at pictures and other utility bills. They didn't ask any personal questions.

In all it took 15 mins I think. They stamped the passport and said the GC would arrive in 3-6 months. After all the ups and downs, it's almost anticlimactic ... which is very good :)

My aos interview was on March 8, and I got the stamp in my passport.

The interview took about 20-25 minutes. The officer went through basic information of me and my wife, such as date of birth, place of birth, criminal record, when I came to US and through which city and compare those in the file. He also asked for our daughter's birth certificate when we told him we have a new born. He also asked for mortgage, joint bank acc., joint credit acc., joint auto insurance, joint auto title, joint medical insurance and kept all the copies. He also took the Affidavit of Support, recent 3 years of tax (I got tax transcript from IRS for free), job letter from my wife's company. He took my medical exam what was done in Feb., 2004. He also asked my wife (USC)how long we have known each other.

At the end, he seems satisfied and said he would approve my application. Took my index fingerprint, took my EAD and I-94. He also asked for 2 adit photos. He then handed me a piece of paper what says my PR status is granted and stamped my passport.

Special thanks to Nick Jordan at Sen. Durbin's office. He has been really helpful to check status and other issues.

My timeline (waited for 25 months):
RD: Feb. 6, 2002
1st EAD: March, 2002
1st FP: June, 2002
2nd EAD: March, 2003
June 2003, checked status through Sen. Durbin office that my file is in the right place, waiting for interview
Sept. 2003, 1FP expired and no FP notice yet, asked Sen. Durbin office, and got notice in October.
2nd FP: Mid Nov., 2003, called the FBI fingerprint Div., FP results sent back to INS the same day of FP taken.
January 2004, used FOIA act to check name check status at FBI and CIA. Got replay from FBI in 2 weeks in email that my record check was completed at the beginning of Jan., 2004. CIA won't tell me anything saying I should ask INS instead.
Interview letter received: Jan. 29, 2004
Interview: March 8, 2004. Sucessful. Approved and got stamp.

Hi arvindkop,

Thank you so much for your post! I have been waiting for name check for 16 months now. My case (family based) was filed in San Francisco office on April 19, 2002. I had interview on Dec. 16, 2002. My case is pending for name check ever since interview. I could not able obtain any information from any agency. It seemed to me that you have managed contacted to FBI/CIA regarding name check? I have sent letter to congressman and senator, but nothing helps with my case so far. At this time I really want to know if is my name check has been completed! Can you tell me how to find out the status of name check or any phone numbers, websites? You information will be greatly appreciated. By the way what is FOIA act?

JICT
:)

FOIA=freedom of information act

Fax FBI your request at 202-324-3625. Include your email address or mailing address.

hope it helps.

Hi arvindkop,

Would you please check the FBI Fax # one more time? I could not get through that #. Thanks a lot.

JICT

Timeline for Chicago

My timeline for Chicago (waited for 21 months):
RD: August 18, 2002
1st EAD: September 19, 2002
1st and LAST FP: March, 2004
2nd EAD: August, 2003
June, 2004 - interview. :)

Hopefully someone knows - if you never received approved I-130 - would it change anything ? Thank you !

How long is the typical wait between Chicago INS receiving a packet (5/28 according to USPS) and the petitioner (I130/I485) receiving a receipt and Notice Date? The postal service says INS received it 2 weeks ago, still not even a receipt.

I should probably learn a little patience, huh?

URGENT !!!!!

Do I have to bring my pictures for i-551 ????

P.S. My passport is expired now...

Thank you !!!!!

Lardbird - in my case it was about 3-4 weeks...

My timeline for Chicago (waited for 21 months):
RD: August 18, 2002
1st EAD: September 19, 2002
1st and LAST FP: March, 2004
2nd EAD: August, 2003
June, 16 2004 - interview. got their approval letter. Also they stamped my passport !!! :cool: (even it has been expired last year). The officer told me that I should get my plastic card in 1 month (approx.). I'm getting my unconditional green card (2 years and couple months since we got married).

They asked for all papers. Incl. work papers (paycheck would be good or bank statements with all direct deposits). The rest - as we expected - house, insurances, bank statements and credit cards. Oh, and of course, W-2 forms and 1040 for the last 3 years.

I have applied in Chicago in Feb 2004 for AOS through US Citizen. I am still waiting for my EAD/AP to come in the mail. Here is my case info. Is there anyone else have this long delay in Chicago? Is this normal. I wne to the BCIS center in Chicago and they gave me the temporary EAD.
RD Feb 19
EAD=?
AP=?

Just an update to our status in Chicago...

Previously posted info...
Chicago District Office to NBC
Mailed I-485 w 130, 131 and 765 on 5/26.
Received a receipt notice from MSC/NBC on 6/10 w ND of 6/9 and RD of 6/1.
Still waiting for Priority Date notification.
Fingerprinting set for 7/24.

New update...
Fingerprinted on 7/24...surprisingly painless at ASC Naperville.
7/30 - 765 & 485 status updated online at bcis.gov, showing resumption of processing after biometrics.
8/4 - 765 status updated online. Received update email saying they have ordered us a new card "after approving your application". Now we're just waiting for the card. Anyone know when we should expect it?

I noticed that my previous posting said we were still waiting for a Priority Date...I've since gotten the impression that we won't need a priority date as this is an I130 spouse-of-USC case. Am I correct in this?

Good luck to all,
Lardbird