Chicago I-485 ..AOS ..

RD 09/2001

Got interview letter for 10/22/03

My passport is expired and with two business days notice I cannot go my consulate, only located in Washington DC, to get the passport renewed. Not to mention, I need to have the medical done in these days as well.

Does anyone of you know if having an expired passport will be harmful, etc. to the interview outcome?

ed2001,

Congratulations! Did the officer mention that you would have a conditional green card or non-conditional one when she approved your case? I noticed that your case had been processed more than two years and some local office did grant a non-conditional green card in such circumstance. I am curious what you have gotten. Thanks!

I had my interview 10 months ago in San Francisco office and am still waiting for security clearance. It seemed to me that you did not have such trouble at least. Once agian congratulations!

JICT

She did not say anything, but looking at the letter I've been granted permanent resident status, no mention of conditional status. As a matter of fact as far as I know most offices will give you full permanent residency after two years of marriage. Here's what my letter says : "You have been granted permanent residence status. You will be receiving your alien registration card within next few onths... " etc.

Expired passport answer : I went to the office with a passport that's two weeks before it's expiration. No problem at all, except that they won't stamp it. What that means is that although you will technically be permanent resident until you actually receive the card you will not have proof that you can work, travel, etc.
On the other hand if you think your can get a new passport after your interview then you can do so and bring the new passport together with approval letter to 10 W Jackson (assuming u r in Chicago) and they will stamp it there

got aos-interview notice, (family based) quick time line,

RD 07/17/01
EAD1 11/01
FP1 01/02
EAD2 12/02
FP2 09/01/03
EAD3 08/03

Seek help from, congress man (democrat, Illinois) in august03 & after follow up got the file adjudicated.
any help/ref/pointers on interview q's ? and security check status etc will be very welcome.

-ideallaw

Originally posted by ed2001
She did not say anything, but looking at the letter I've been granted permanent resident status, no mention of conditional status. As a matter of fact as far as I know most offices will give you full permanent residency after two years of marriage. Here's what my letter says : "You have been granted permanent residence status. You will be receiving your alien registration card within next few onths... " etc.

Congrats, ed2001, Looks like you had your day & done with your interview, I am in same boat for now and was wondering if you had to convince officer abt yr two years of wedding, or did they look up your, mairrage certificate and grnated you unconditional greencard?? I will be travlling with my spouse from Mass to Chicago for interview on OCT 30TH so hopping that, they consider my 3 years into the mairrage & give me unconditional greencard ? Any tips or suggestions on influencing the officer will be helpful.

Did you find out abt your security check ? before going in?? or how does that plays out..

ideallaw

I must admit that I had very pleasant experience during the whole process - wish you all the same. As far as convicing the officer , she did ask to see utility bills, bank statments etc. showing that we are living at the same address. We produced massive amount of these documents (insurance, phone bills, bank statements, electricity) from various time periods - she only took a few of them. She also wanted to see the lease - we showed her that but we did not have copy so she let us keep the lease with us (she just looked at it). We also showed her the insurance cards from my employer wihch show that my policy covers both me and my wife. That's pretty much it - it took about 15-20 minutes I think.
Hope this helps.

Oh, and for security check - I assume it was done before. I had overall two FPs taken - one in Feb 2002 and one May 2003. So they probably cleared that first, before even calling us to the interview

Chicago AOS help

My wife had her AOS interview on May 1, 2003. However, becuase some security checks were not completed, the officer did not stamp her passport. Its been 6 months and I have not heard anything. A couple of questions:

1. Anyone have a similar experience?
2. Where can I go in Chicago to find out her case status?

Any help would be appreciated.

Third EAD application approved

Third EAD application approved on Nov 6. EAD card ordered and will be mail soon as per INS website.
time line recap

EAD3 RD Aug 14 /2003
approval Nov 6/2003

I am new here. Congratulations to all who had interview or has interview date set.

I applied AOS from F1 to PR (wife USC) at the beginning of Feb. 2002 through BCIS Chicago and got fingerprinted twice (2 FP is at the end of October, 2003). I am still waiting for interview date. Hope people recently got interview or anyone who is still waiting post your timeline, so that I can have a rough idea the progress of BCIS Chicago.

Thanks in advance.

Got following link (https://egov.immigration.gov/graphics/cris/jsps/index.jsp?textFlag=N#) on district office processing time from Steffi at http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=35. It is said that chicago is processing July 6, 2003 AOS cases. I guess it is a typo and they are trying to say July, 2001 AOS cases. I thought they were processing some october 2001 cases. AILA posts waiting time of 24 months and 1-800 info. line told me of 25 months couple weeks ago. And now, 28 months. Any idea?

Yes'day I had interview at chicago dist. office. It was a breeze. not more Q's, only paper work. in and out in about 15 mins.

I got the stamp and approval letter same time same day.

Good luck to all of you ...

Just got notice from NSCS that I'll be receiving my permanent resident card within next 3 weeks. Now if that's true that's FAST!

Here's my info :
RD 08/03/2001
EAD1 11/20/2001
FP1 02/05/2002
EAD2 11/10/2002
FP2 05/07/2003
Interview (AD) 10/07/2003
Notice received 11/21/2003

How long does it take to get actual GC in mail

i got my 485 approval in Nov'03. how long does it take to get actual GC.???

Thanks!

Got approval notice and Actual GC in a mail on 12/15/03. almost within a month after interview.

Goodluck to everyone who are waiting and hope this info Helps...

jim74
my congrats to you :) One question - did you receive your unconditional or conditional green card?

Thanks a lot. :)

I got unconditional GC valid for 10 years.. No need to file I-751 since we received GC after 2 years of our marraige.

jim74
Thanks a lot. Sounds good. :) I just remember, that we filed 130 and 751 forms together. I guess it doesn't matter right now, because our 2 years anniversary is coming very soon.

I noticed that a lot of people are getting their fingerprints twice before getting --green card-- (every year). However, I received my second EAD, but I never got their invitation for fingerprints. Isn't weird?:confused: